Total Posts: 556

For those clients with loads of stray moggies;

Working Cats Credit

JFSelby
forum member

Benefit caseworker (SDAIN project) - Selby CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 54

A long time ago i was seeing a new client and filling in a checklist covering everything as one does

In the childrens section we listed 5 and then i asked for Dates of birth i became a little concerned as there was less than 9 months between

Being CAB and not appearing to question ( adoption maybe i thought) we finally established they were dogs and very large ones at that

The client became a long term client and her children ( dogs) came up regularly as they cost a lot in food and so on we regularly needed to explain that ‘perhaps’ Income support wasnt meant for a single women and five very large dogs

She did advance a very understandable view that if she chose to have animals not kids then why couldnt she get extra

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Unicorn Credit. On time and on budget.

Pig Independence Payments. Proof that you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.

Disabled Lion Allowance. For lion cubs requiring substantially more care than average or those kings of the jungle unable to migrate before pension age.

Ferret Income Supplement.

Snarers Allowance. For rabbits requiring more than 35 hours care p/w as a result of their injuries.

It’s not all good news though; fairness has to be shown to hard working families of animals. Welfare reform has introduced the hated Bat Room Tax for those with unused loft space. And those under 35 minutes of age will be subject to the Single Room Rat of LHA.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Crap Allowance - for clearing up the (all be it very slowly) growing pile of Universal Crap produced by the Incredibly Diverse Species for which the other benefits mentioned above are available.

Many years ago I did a talk to a group of magistrates about means tested benefits in the context of their detemining an appppropriate level of fine for a miscrient on benefits. The first question they asked was how much a claimant got for a dog - the majority really did believed there was such an allowance!

Nicky
forum member

Supervisor Welfare Benefits, Barrow-in-Furness, Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 239

This is up there with beer tokens - the amount of people that don’t believe i know what i’m talking about when i confirm there is no such thing….

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

I’ve encountered both on many occasions too. It’s up there with the other Great Myths (including free holidays, cars & TVs, ‘illegal immigrants’ that can claim significantly more than whoever I am speaking to is entitled to/earns and that your boyfriend can stay up to 3 nights per week) isn’t it?

Paul_Treloar_CPAG
forum member

Advice and Rights Team, Child Poverty Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 550

Strange isn’t it? When I first worked at CPAG, our then legal officer Stewart Wright (now Judge Wright of course) was talking to me about test cases and the need to avoid the “my dog’s dead” type of appeals, where people tried to get more benefits on those type of grounds. It would appear that he wasn’t actually talking in the abstract quite as much as I thought at the time…...

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Paul_Treloar_CPAG - 30 July 2014 04:28 PM

Strange isn’t it? When I first worked at CPAG, our then legal officer Stewart Wright (now Judge Wright of course) was talking to me about test cases and the need to avoid the “my dog’s dead” type of appeals, where people tried to get more benefits on those type of grounds. It would appear that he wasn’t actually talking in the abstract quite as much as I thought at the time…...

But he was only referring to appeals under Income Support. Under Supp Ben there were of course AR’s* (Animal Requirements). Some readers will recall the massive take up campaigns around AR’s in the run up to the abolition of Supp Ben.

*Additional Requirements.

Paul_Treloar_CPAG
forum member

Advice and Rights Team, Child Poverty Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 550

Peter Turville - 30 July 2014 04:56 PM
Paul_Treloar_CPAG - 30 July 2014 04:28 PM

But he was only referring to appeals under Income Support. Under Supp Ben there were of course AR’s* (Animal Requirements). Some readers will recall the massive take up campaigns around AR’s in the run up to the abolition of Supp Ben.

*Additional Requirements.

That would have been in addition to the Single Payments for items like dog bowls and blankets and the like….

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3776

shawn mach - 29 July 2014 02:39 PM

I’d propose Mousing Benefit

Now needed more than ever ....

Landlords charge ‘pet rent’ to recoup losses after ban on unfair fees

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Do NOT start this all over again! 😊

Chrissum
forum member

WRAMAS, Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 240

shawn mach - 03 September 2019 03:49 PM
shawn mach - 29 July 2014 02:39 PM

I’d propose Mousing Benefit

Now needed more than ever ....

Landlords charge ‘pet rent’ to recoup losses after ban on unfair fees

Would they get an extra room for the pet or still be subject to the Baaaadroom tax and be forced to Mooooove house to find chirpy-chirpy-cheeper accommodation?

Sorry couldn’t resist. I’ll get me coat (or should that be goat?)

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Sigh.

AlexJ
forum member

Trafford Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 179

I understand that sheep farmers can now claim Eweniversal Credit to help with the upkeep of their female sheep. But the ram-ifications for the male sheep are less clear.

Chrissum
forum member

WRAMAS, Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 240

And honey farmers who use the tops of their houses can claim Bee-roofment benefit… (Sorry)