to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Means-tested benefits and owning property abroad

CHC
forum member

Welfare rights team - St Mungo's Broadway

Send message

Total Posts: 170

Client has informed me that she (solely) owns a property abroad but has not declared this to DWP for her income related ESA claim (IR related since December 2013) nor to the LA for her HB/CTS claim (claimed for at least 14 months possibly more).  I have given her the usual advice in relation to declaring capital, capital limits and rules around owning property, and consequences of having not declaring this to the relevant authorities.

The property was brought in Slovakia 13 years ago without a loan and no one lives there, she has not received a further valuation in the last 13 years, she has made no attempt to sell the property. When bought it cost £6500 equivalent (based on currency exchange rate at the time). She has no idea what currently worth. I am not aware of any restrictions on its sale.

She is going to be writing to the DWP/LA to declare that she owns the property however will obviously need to provide relevant paperwork in relation to buying the property, proof of ownership etc however this will not be in English, also she does not know how she can get hold of the papers she needs plus a valuation of the property without traveling to Slovakia and paying for a valuation which she says she cannot afford to do. 

Does anyone have any experience advising clients who own property abroad, about providing the necessary paperwork and getting a valuation?

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

The DWP can commission a local estate agent to value the property. I’ve known them to do that on several occasions.

I’d also suggest a web search. If nothing else, it should give you/the client a general ball-park of the likely current market value.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

The Land Registry has an international branch that might be able to help you find out more about foreign held property, types of ownership and various interests in land, restrictions, covenants, etc, in any given country.