to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

DWP information on ‘work clubs’

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

attached link to adviser update on newly announced ‘work clubs’ which, according to the DWP, will be ‘a network of locally led, community based support for the unemployed which will grow organically across the country’ -

DWP info on ‘work clubs’

Nicky
forum member

Supervisor Welfare Benefits, Barrow-in-Furness, Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 239

I’ve only quickly glanced at this and it looks like they’ve merely copied the template for the 80’s jobclubs.

As i’ve only quickly looked at it - who is meant to be running these work clubs?  They give advice on setting one up but who is this advice aimed at?  Or am i being very thick and completely missing the point?

Nicky
forum member

Supervisor Welfare Benefits, Barrow-in-Furness, Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 239

Yep - on closer inspection i am affraid you’re right - what a joke!

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 486

maybe this is the work programme

Tom H
forum member

Newcastle Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 783

In the photograph at the start of the booklet “Could you run a Work Club?” the guy standing up is obviously reading from the page detailing the Coalition’s plans for getting people back to work.  It’s absolutely blank.  Still, everyone seems happy.

ClaireHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, CMH solicitors, Tyne And Wear

Send message

Total Posts: 186

jj - 06 October 2010 03:25 PM

- GIZZA JOB”

and the Beeb have been repeating Boys from the Black Stuff, i noticed…..

neilbateman
forum member

Welfare Rights Author, Trainer & Consultant

Send message

Total Posts: 443

Oh honestly.  Is this some form of joke by the DWP?

It looks like a naive charter for all those shysters, wierdos and, lord and lady bountifuls to offer their value-driven visions of self help to people who are excluded by today’s labour market.

Rather than professional services, the Big Society presumably means we will be seeing far more of this drivel.

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

neilbateman - 07 October 2010 08:34 AM

Oh honestly.  Is this some form of joke by the DWP?

It looks like a naive charter for all those shysters, wierdos and, lord and lady bountifuls to offer their value-driven visions of self help to people who are excluded by today’s labour market.

Rather than professional services, the Big Society presumably means we will be seeing far more of this drivel.

Not surprising really, an anagram of ‘David Cameron’ is ‘random advice’ (thanks to Private Eye for that one!)

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

The prime minister to day invited community minded social entrepreneurs to step forward and volunteer to run the country.  Gone are the days, he said, when the state is to be expected to make all the big decisions governing the lives of its citizens.  We in government, quite frankly, cannot be expected to run around all day creating jobs and opportunities for all while regulating the rich and powerful.  We are far too busy filling in long and complex forms for claiming our expenses for any of that.  And when we are not doing that, we have consultancy fees to earn, business leaders to meet, banks to bale out, asylum seekers to lock up.  Our work is endless.

This country needs civic minded people to roll up their sleeves, put their noses to the grindstone, their shoulders to the wheel, their faces to the rhythm, to get down and get with it, to strut their funky stuff and create the big society.  Yes madam I’m talking to you.  Don’t leave it to your neighbour or his pastry chef.  Your country needs you, right here, right now.  We are not France or Spain or Greece.  We don’t shout or complain on the streets of Britain.  That is not our way.  Together we can make a difference.  So come on everybody, join hands, stamp your feet and bang on the big bass drum.  We’re in it together and we’re in it for Britain.  All for one and one for all.

Lord Mandelson is 117