to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

tribunal delay, remedy

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 309

My valuation tribunal case originally listed for April this year after months of waiting was canceled due to the Tribunal members not “being available” I am now told it will be September before it is listed. This is causing my client hardship, she a discretionary council tax appeal a d is having to pay out money she can ill afford.
How can I get the VT to list this hearing more quickly ???

CHAC Adviser
forum member

Caseworker - CHAC, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 260

My suggestion is more from the first tier tribunal for benefits appeals but one option could be to apply for them to expedite the hearing. Write to the VT requesting a direction for an expedited hearing giving reasons why your clients appeal in particular should be singled out for a quicker hearing than anyone else’s. It has worked previously for us when dealing with benefits appeals. The stronger your evidence that the client is being harmed by the delay the more likely you are to succeed but it’s still probably a long shot.

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 309

Thank you CHAC, i will ask for an expedited hearing as you suggest

CHAC Adviser
forum member

Caseworker - CHAC, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 260

Good luck! I’ve only had one experience with the VT and that was pre-pandemic but I found them to deal with things much more swiftly than the first tier was at the time. But perhaps I just got lucky?