Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Change of Benefits Affecting Cost of Living Support?

LouiseG
forum member

Financial Wellbeing and Welfare Benefits - Livin Housing Ltd, Co. Durham

Send message

Total Posts: 13

With the recent measures announced regarding the Cost of Living/fuel rises support, the qualifier for the £650 grant is payable to households with a means tested benefit in payment as at 25.05.2022 and continue to be entitled. What if claimants switch their claims from legacy benefits to Universal Credit after this date? I am assuming they would still be entitled to the help but cannot find any reference to this.
Any thoughts?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

I think its too soon to expect that level of detail. There will need to be legislation and it ought to be clearer then.

The implication however is that the first half of the payment will be released based on a ‘snapshot’ of matters as they stand on 25/05/22 and then the second half will be released based on a second ‘snapshot’ at some future date TBD. Someone in the position you describe would appear on the first ‘snapshot’ as a legacy benefit claimant so would get the first half and would then appear on the second ‘snapshot’ as a UC claimant so would get the second half.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 1995

I’m doing a bit of playing-around with our modelling at the moment.  This is looking at migration in the main but there are clearly some related issues for other help.

Take for example a weekly paid person whose AP including 25th April has 5 weeks pay days, and loses UC for the following AP.  They will not be in receipt of benefit on 25/5/22 so won’t get the £650?

CA Adviser
forum member

Citizens Advice Calderdale, West Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 168

Wonder how it will work with the benefit cap?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

CA Adviser - 30 May 2022 08:22 AM

Wonder how it will work with the benefit cap?

We understand that these payments do not count towards the benefit cap.

EJ
forum member

Benefits advice line - Coventry City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 111

Already had a question about the means-tested benefits and “Savings Credit only” .....

LouiseG
forum member

Financial Wellbeing and Welfare Benefits - Livin Housing Ltd, Co. Durham

Send message

Total Posts: 13

Thanks for all the responses, interesting

Mr Jim
forum member

Asylum & Roma Team, Social Work Services, Glasgow City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 134

Doesn’t include households whose only benefit is HB which is unfair as households on UC and only getting the HCE will qualify.

Jim

lost in Granite
forum member

Training and Appeals team, glasgow city council welfare rights

Send message

Total Posts: 72

I have been reading the guidance, How can they issue guidance without legislation? anyway i am confused by a particular paragraph in the guidance , it says

“If you get New Style Employment and Support Allowance or New Style Jobseeker’s Allowance, you will not be entitled to the Cost-of-Living Payment, unless you get Universal Credit or a disability benefit as well.”

Entitlement to UC is okay, that’s a qualifying benefit, but nsJSA and nsESA are contribution based benefits, does this mean persons in receipt of these contribution based benefits and a disability benefit qualify for the appropriate part of the £650. Even if not getting a means tested benefit?

PS
if you could point me in the direction of the legislation that would be most kind.

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

lost in Granite - 30 May 2022 05:06 PM

“If you get New Style Employment and Support Allowance or New Style Jobseeker’s Allowance, you will not be entitled to the Cost-of-Living Payment, unless you get Universal Credit or a disability benefit as well.”

Entitlement to UC is okay, that’s a qualifying benefit, but nsJSA and nsESA are contribution based benefits, does this mean persons in receipt of these contribution based benefits and a disability benefit qualify for the appropriate part of the £650. Even if not getting a means tested benefit?

I read Cost of Living Support to refer to the overall scheme which comprises a number of different payments within the overall scheme and that someone on contribution based ESA and a disability benefit will only get the £150.

As you say, until regulations are laid a number of details remain unclear.

lost in Granite
forum member

Training and Appeals team, glasgow city council welfare rights

Send message

Total Posts: 72

The way the guidance is laid out, there are three separate payments

Cost of living support, £650
Additional Disability Support £150
Winter fuel payment. £300

If I re-enter the the original quote and include the very next line in the guidance you can see the first is not concerned with the disability support payment.

“If you get New Style Employment and Support Allowance or New Style Jobseeker’s Allowance, you will not be entitled to the Cost of Living Payment, unless you get Universal Credit or a disability benefit as well.

If you also get a qualifying disability benefit, you may get an additional Disability Cost of Living Payment.”

I/We need the regulations.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

Looks like the guidance has been updated

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cost-of-living-payment?mc_cid=d8310461d2&mc_eid=407191570c

We’ve also had it confirmed by DWP that both Guarantee and Savings Credit Pension Credit claimants will be eligible for relevant payments which is good.

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 868

I have a client who was on income based jsa on the qualifying date for the first payment but has ended the claim now due to paid work…wont be entitled to uc unless he passes the WCA.

is he going to get the first?  it looks to me like they are taking a snap shot of the situation on the qualifying date and then paying it as a single payment but I assume using the same payment details for the claimant?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

stevenmcavoy - 14 July 2022 06:14 PM

I have a client who was on income based jsa on the qualifying date for the first payment but has ended the claim now due to paid work…wont be entitled to uc unless he passes the WCA.

is he going to get the first?  it looks to me like they are taking a snap shot of the situation on the qualifying date and then paying it as a single payment but I assume using the same payment details for the claimant?

Yes. He had “a qualifying entitlement to a social security benefit (in this case, ibJSA) in respect of 25 May 2022 (the first “qualifying day”)” so qualifies for the first payment of £326.

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 868

Elliot Kent - 14 July 2022 06:57 PM
stevenmcavoy - 14 July 2022 06:14 PM

Yes. He had “a qualifying entitlement to a social security benefit (in this case, ibJSA) in respect of 25 May 2022 (the first “qualifying day”)” so qualifies for the first payment of £326.

much appreciated.