Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

people being wrongly advised they have to move to UC if their tax credits change

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 551

I am advising a couple who claim WTC and CTC.  One partner works full time. The other partner wants to start part-time work, but I cannot convince her that this won’t trigger an end to her WTC and a move to UC, which would probably not be advantageous in her situation. She is basing it on the experience of a friend.  Have I missed something?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

Ruth Knox - 27 May 2022 11:05 AM

She is basing it on the experience of a friend.

Never a good start.

There are no magic triggers. In this situation she has a WTC/CTC entitlement. An increase in working hours or change in job doesn’t inherently cause that entitlement to end. So her WTC/CTC continues (subject to income). There is nothing about the situation which would cause her to want to access financial support which she is unable to access through legacy benefits. So there is nothing preventing her sticking around on WTC/CTC if she wishes. Or she can claim UC if she wishes.

Of course, plenty of people are told by DWP/HMRC/LA staff that they must claim UC for whatever arbitrary and imagined reason every day so perhaps that is what happened to her friend. You can only have confidence in your own assessment.

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1411

Just to add - even if their higher income causes their tax credits to reduce to zero, they could still stay on the tax credits system and be entitled in a later year if their income subsequently reduces.

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 551

Thanks to both!  Yes you are right Elliot - “what happened to a friend” isn’t a very good start!  However, it seems to me that a lot of people are being incorrectly advised to move - I was aware of it in relation to ESA claims- but didn’t think it would happen if you contacted HMRC over a change in tax credits.