to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DLA for senior adults & night time needs

Ruth
forum member

Trust Officer The Friendly Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 10

I know the night time rules in “normal ” times, but care agencies aren’t able to cope with demand any more.

My service user is put to bed at 11pm and the carers don’t return until 11:30am.  She lives alone, is totally immobile, etc., so is unable to get up at all.  How does the “when the household closes down…” rule affect her?  Should my arguments for an increase to higher rate care be based on the premise that night time should be 11pm to 7am as normally assumed or the actual time the household has closed down? 

Even if the time were shorter she still has toilet, incontinence needs, etc., but just has to mess herself in her pad, (A problem to overcome in my argument, I know) the bed is messed and she has had to pull the emergency cord for someone to come out and tend to her.  Her medication is not being given correctly because the carers’ morning call is too late for the next call to give the lunch time dose, etc.  She should be having her meds evenly spaced out, so needs assistance for an earlier dose.

All comments gratefully received.

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 615

I think you have a strong argument for night time needs regardless of the definition of night time

(You might also have a case for JR of the restricted care package but that is not my area )

Have a look at the old attendance allowance commissioners decision R(A)3/86

File Attachments

Ruth
forum member

Send message

Stainsby - 09 May 2022 12:18 PM

I think you have a strong argument for night time needs regardless of the definition of night time

(You might also have a case for JR of the restricted care package but that is not my area )

Have a look at the old attendance allowance commissioners decision R(A)3/86

Thank you very much!

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

I’d agree that she has strong grounds for the night time needs to be considered in the context of a high rate AA award, simply on the basis of her existing problems.

I’d also agree that a review of her care package would seem to be in order, see section 10 of our factsheet How to get care and support where we explain more about how these are supposed to work.

Ruth
forum member

Send message

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 09 May 2022 12:44 PM

I’d agree that she has strong grounds for the night time needs to be considered in the context of a high rate AA award, simply on the basis of her existing problems.

I’d also agree that a review of her care package would seem to be in order, see section 10 of our factsheet How to get care and support where we explain more about how these are supposed to work.

“how they are supposed to work” being the problem here.  During the day the care is poor.  She has 4 calls, but by the time the morning call arrives at 11:30am it is too soon for the lunch time call to give her the lunch time meds.  It’s scary how the care industry is struggling and is unable to meet the care needs of people, even when contracted to do so. In another case my client was also supposed to have 4 calls a day.  However, the carers often didn’t turn up or would walk in and ask if he was ok and walk straight out again.  In my lady’s case above, a friend has put cameras in the rooms so she can see what the carers are/aren’t doing as well as speak to my client at bed time.

Thank you for the advice though…  we can look into it.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

But remember Ruth, it’s the help that your client requires that is important - what help she does or doesn’t get is neither here nor there for AA purposes.

So the fact that you state she has incontinence during the night which causes her to soil herself, which then means bedding and clothing also needs changing should be enough, in and of itself.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Whilst I certainly agree with all of the above, the bit which leapt out at me was “put to bed”. Night time has been held to start when your carer goes to bed and/or held to include where they stay up late to help you. My guess would be that your claimant only goes to bed when someone is available to put them to bed and that, in effect, the household and its related activities likely close down much earlier in practice than the actual time the claimant is put into bed. I’d argue that the household closed down at the point at which the claimant ceased to actively take part in it.

Ruth
forum member

Send message

To update you:

Decision already received and high rate care awarded.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

Ruth - 28 June 2022 09:16 PM

To update you:

Decision already received and high rate care awarded.

Oh good, well done Ruth.