Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

UC Migration Statement

1 2 > 

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

Just issued at https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-statements/detail/2022-04-25/hcws780

“... Next month, we will be starting a multi-site approach across the country with a small number of claimants, approximately five hundred initially, being brought into the mandatory migration process. We will continue to develop our processes and systems to scale the migration process and complete by 2024”

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3778

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3129

I thought I would just leave this here.

The Government first set out an implementation timetable for UC in November 2011. The transition to UC was planned to take place between April 2013 and the end of 2017, by which time it was expected to be paid to 7.7 million households. Under this timetable, national roll-out would take place between October 2013 and April 2014 for new claimants, who would claim UC in place of six existing working-age benefits and tax credits (“legacy benefits”). During this period, claimants of legacy benefits would be moved on to UC if their circumstances changed. Under the second phase of implementation from April 2014, the Government would give priority to migrating to UC “households who will benefit most from the transition.” The final implementation phase would involve three million existing claimant households being transferred to UC betweenlate2015 and the end of 2017, by local authority area.

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 486

‘This is particularly the case for tax credit claimants, with our analysis estimating around two-thirds of them would benefit. ‘

Does this analysis include how many of these people have a historical, unknown to the claimant, tax credit overpayment lurking somewhere?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Vonny - 26 April 2022 07:47 AM

‘This is particularly the case for tax credit claimants, with our analysis estimating around two-thirds of them would benefit. ‘

Does this analysis include how many of these people have a historical, unknown to the claimant, tax credit overpayment lurking somewhere?

No it doesn’t.

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 486

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 26 April 2022 09:15 AM

]No it doesn’t.

I think I need a sarcasm button :)

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1964

‘There are several key tasks to focus on to start managed migration:
i. gathering data on the different circumstances of legacy benefits’
claimants;
ii. designing the processes and tools to calculate both UC entitlement and
transitional protection (where applicable), then paying the correct
award;
iii. assessing and providing the different levels of support required to
make a successful claim;
iv. considering how best to notify claimants about their move; and,
v. understanding the different challenges claimants may face after making
their claim to UC and the support they need.’

Translation: ‘We have hardly done or thought about anything yet. Can someone give us a push?’

Timothy Seaside
forum member

Housing services - Arun District Council

Send message

Total Posts: 539

I think you missed one:-

vi. or we could just wing it.

keith
forum member

Principal WRO - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 68

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1964

How Einsteinian: it’s going to be simultaneously very quick (2 years) and ‘slow, slow, slow’. (or is he thinking strictly of dance steps?) 

It depends on the relative position of the observer.

If the observer is in a gravity-well formed by the accretion of an near-infinite number of Thank You Cards, space and time will distort so severely that with one glance the observer sees a remarkable acceleration of time, but with another, sees a ‘slow, slow, slow experience.’.

This is the famous Having It Both Ways Effect or Talking To Suit Yourself Phenomenon of quantum gravity. 

I

keith
forum member

Principal WRO - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 68

Indeed, that must be what he meant when he told the committee “For this phase there are not predetermined data and numbers, rather it is a space to explore, learn and construct, allowing volumes to be adjusted based on learning.”

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I wonder if they realise that “space” involves actual people.

If I had a “sarcasm button” I’d be like that bloke underground in Lost. Trapped forever pressing it.

Mkfiftyeight
forum member

Benefit Advisor, HARC East Sussex

Send message

Total Posts: 49

Does anyone have a copy or know if there is a sample available of the initial invite letter and/or reminder letter?

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3548

Haven’t seen one yet but we have a stakeholder meeting about it next week so will ask

Owen_Stevens
forum member

UC Adviser, CPAG

Send message

Total Posts: 598

Annex 1 of this doc gives an early example of a migration notice: https://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2022-0377/6-UCPB12-11-19-Paper5-MovetoUC_UpdatePilotEvaluation_R.pdf

The recently published UCPB papers are well worth a read: https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/17229/#86421

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3548

Daphne - 28 April 2022 03:13 PM

Haven’t seen one yet but we have a stakeholder meeting about it next week so will ask

In meeting now - Neil Couling says no because -

When we get to volume we will share but there are likely to be many versions, being tested in parallel, in a short number of months so I am keen not to mislead