to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC and in-work conditionality earnings limits

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

We’ve got this section in our UC factsheet and I’m struggling to source the figures highlighted below.

5.2 In-work conditionality
This requirement applies if you do not work sufficient hours or have sufficient earnings. You are expected to increase your pay or hours in your current job, or find new or additional employment. Your preferred option determines the activity you are expected to undertake to obtain more or better-paid work, but requirements should be reasonable, proportionate and compatible with current work commitments.

This requirement applies if your monthly earnings are below £345 (for a single person) or £552 (for couples).

Anyone got any ideas where I find the rates for 2022/23, am having a real brain fade here after looking through new rates (not there) and can’t find these anywhere in CPAG either?

Many thanks for any pointers.

roecab
forum member

Welfare benefits supervisor - Roehampton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 465

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2906

I think it’s a function of the legacy benefit rates: for single claimant it’s the weekly amount of JSA etc plus £5, x 52 / 12 and rounded down to a whole £1; for couples it’s the weekly rate plus £10 x 52 / 12 and rounded down.  Should be able to work it out from next year’s JSA rate

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

roecab - 09 March 2022 03:09 PM

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/benefit-and-pension-rates-2022-to-2023/proposed-benefit-and-pension-rates-2022-to-2023#universal-credit

Sorry, I can see why you thought I couldn’t find the rates - I’ve seen this but I can’t see where those figures in our content come from?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

HB Anorak - 09 March 2022 03:17 PM

I think it’s a function of the legacy benefit rates: for single claimant it’s the weekly amount of JSA etc plus £5, x 52 / 12 and rounded down to a whole £1; for couples it’s the weekly rate plus £10 x 52 / 12 and rounded down.  Should be able to work it out from next year’s JSA rate

Cor blimey, they don’t make this easy do they?

Thanks, will have a look at this later and brush off the old abacus.

roecab
forum member

Welfare benefits supervisor - Roehampton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 465

Sorry, Paul I only saw that line - Anyone got any ideas where I find the rates for 2022/23.

Good luck.

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 486

From benefits and training co:

Extension of light touch for UC in-work conditionality

The government has issued regulations to extend the ‘light touch’ approach to people claiming Univeral Credit when they are also in work.

Single people who earn at least £355 (or couples earning £567) per week after April will continue to have no work requirements applied to their Universal Credit, meaning that they will not have to look for any other work until February 2023.

And thanks Paul, you gave me inspiration on my missing figure for UC calc sheets on when the benefit cap will not apply :)

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

Vonny - 09 March 2022 03:35 PM

From benefits and training co:

Extension of light touch for UC in-work conditionality

The government has issued regulations to extend the ‘light touch’ approach to people claiming Univeral Credit when they are also in work.

Single people who earn at least £355 (or couples earning £567) per week after April will continue to have no work requirements applied to their Universal Credit, meaning that they will not have to look for any other work until February 2023.

And thanks Paul, you gave me inspiration on my missing figure for UC calc sheets on when the benefit cap will not apply :)

Thanks Vonny, that’s great.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

roecab - 09 March 2022 03:25 PM

Sorry, Paul I only saw that line - Anyone got any ideas where I find the rates for 2022/23.

Good luck.

No worries, like I say, can see you thought that was what I was asking for :-)

CA Adviser
forum member

Citizens Advice Calderdale, West Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 168

Current CPAG, chap 46, p1068-1069

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

CA Adviser - 10 March 2022 08:49 AM

Current CPAG, chap 46, p1068-1069

Thanks so much, I knew it must be in there somewhere but jiggered if I could actually find it.