to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other areas of social welfare law  →  Thread

Haringey Council Blue Badge

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

I have assisted a person to apply to Haringey Council for a Blue Badge recently. Having sent in the initial application we received a letter stating: “We require supporting evidence from your certified medical assessor to support your application which outlines your condition as to how this affects your ability to walk. The expert assessor can
not be your GP, this must be from a consultant or Hospital Department.”

I have never done work in Haringey before (and probably won’t again) but this struck me as odd. What if the person doesn’t have a hospital department or consultant, do they just reject the application out of hand? Do other authorities have these sort of rules?

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

The Northamptonshire Councils have a similar requirement for applicants who do not qualify automatically for a Blue Badge through receipt of appropriate benefits.  The requirements are set out in their website at
Required proof of entitlement for a Blue Badge - Northamptonshire Highways

(https://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/councilservices/northamptonshire-highways/parking/blue-badges/Pages/required-proof-of-entitlement-for-a-blue-badge.aspx#collapse_g_0121d789_8f6d_457a_a78d_9624b902b43b_2    Smart links don’t seem to work).

However, in some cases they will accept evidence from eg a physiotherapist.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

Some councils (including mine) get their own occupational therapy departments to carry out these assessments.  Assuming they have these departments, why don’t they do that?

Paul Stockton
forum member

Epping Forest CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 291

nevip - 19 January 2022 08:52 AM

Some councils (including mine) get their own occupational therapy departments to carry out these assessments.  Assuming they have these departments, why don’t they do that?

Essex County Council does the same. All they say on their website about medical evidence for proof of walking ability is “You can provide additional supporting evidence, such as NHS or doctor’s letter if you wish. This is not mandatory.”

The assessments also provide very useful evidence for PIP and LCW claims.

In any event the national guidance on Blue Badge assessment requires referral to an expert assessor if the medical evidence isn’t conclusive. The guidance is: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-blue-badge-scheme-local-authority-guidance-england/blue-badge#determining-the-eligibility-of-individual-applicants. See para 4.27 in particular.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

“The assessments also provide very useful evidence for PIP and LCW claims.”

Indeed they do.  I’ve used them quite a few times.