Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Conditionality and sanctions  →  Thread

DWP requiring astonishing range of photo evidence in support of claim for universal credit

1 2 > 

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3777

Spotted via a tweet from the Public Interest Law Centre:

Our client received this message on his #universalcredit online account this week.

As if it wasn’t hard enough to claim UC…

(Point 5 is what kidnappers do, which seems appropriate.)

Are others getting these messages?

‘Further to today’s phone call, I now require you to provide the following information. If you don’t provide all of the information that we’ve requested your claim will be closed. 1. A photo of your ID card or passport open on the photo page. 2. A photo of your ID card or passport open on the photo page held next to your face. 3. A photo of you stood outside the front door (open behind you) of the property you live at. Ask someone to take this from the street so that whole property can be seen. 4. A photo of you stood next to your street sign with your right hand holding it. Ask someone to take this photo from a few metres away so that the background can be clearly seen. 5. A photo of you holding your local newspaper for the area you live (not a national tabloid newspaper). This should be dated the same day you upload the photo. Please note, once you upload these details, we may still require you to attend a Jobcentre appointment before any consideration is given to awarding your Universal Credit. I’ve created an upload in your To Do list ...’

https://twitter.com/publiclawcentre/status/1448677001351553035

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1417

And see this tweet from Neil Couling!

https://twitter.com/NeilCouling/status/1447975775735631873

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Further update(s) from Neil Couling:

Thanks - said I’d take a look as there have been some instances of fraudsters representing themselves as DWP officials to harvest data off claimants to use in criminal activities.  But this is legitimate.  I will explain in a bit more detail (1).

https://twitter.com/NeilCouling/status/1448971863573602341

You will know that in the 1st lockdown we suspended face-to-face verification.  Prior to Covid in cases where there was a doubt we used to call people into Jobcentres. Initially we used a “Trust and Protect” approach.  (2)

https://twitter.com/NeilCouling/status/1448971921173979171

We knew some would abuse that, I’ve been very open about that, but it was for the greater good.  But we always said we would go back and check.  And this is part of that, given restrictions mean we can’t yet use our Jobcentres to the full (3)

https://twitter.com/NeilCouling/status/1448971976928862212

So this is a temporary process, tailored for the restrictions we are still under.  Eventually we will be able to return to interviews in Jobcentres in cases of doubt about identity.  So there’s nothing to worry about here for claimants, they can engage with confidence (4)

https://twitter.com/NeilCouling/status/1448972031073132559

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1963

Has someone hacked Thank You Cards’s account too? This is ludicrous!

Perhaps claimants should be dragged to the stocks and left there until a respectable personage of good standing confirms their identity?

Claimants: This Is What They Think Of You.

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

To be fair Neil did initially say ‘Looks suspicious to me’ 😂

https://twitter.com/NeilCouling/status/1447975775735631873

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 509

Looks suspicious, but was actually us!

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 486

I don’t even know where my street sign is, but it is a very long road.  But that is a ridiculous level of hoops to jump through.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

He even managed to get a “tailored” into that. Anyone would think that DWP are sponsored by Tailors R Us.
My street doesn’t have a sign on it and my front door no longer opens, I’d be stuffed.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

BC Welfare Rights - 16 October 2021 09:09 AM

... my front door no longer opens,

Intrigued now. Do you need rescuing?

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

Possibly, but not from the broken door. What I really need is a joiner who doesn’t charge the equivalent rate of a distinguished QC.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

BC Welfare Rights - 19 October 2021 11:33 AM

Possibly, but not from the broken door. What I really need is a joiner who doesn’t charge the equivalent rate of a distinguished QC.

Make sure you ask for ID :)

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

To further complicate matters my house isn’t actually on the street that the postal address says it is, front or back. It is on an ajoining street with a different name. It doesn’t have a number either, just a name, in Welsh oddly enough. It’s bad enough for delivery drivers, who knows what sort of confusion would reign supreme should UC ever get involved.

[ Edited: 19 Oct 2021 at 12:08 pm by BC Welfare Rights ]
Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 486

BC Welfare Rights - 19 October 2021 12:06 PM

To further complicate matters my house isn’t actually on the street that the postal address says it is, front or back. It is on an ajoining street with a different name. It doesn’t have a number either, just a name, in Welsh oddly enough. It’s bad enough for delivery drivers, who knows what sort of confusion would reign supreme should UC ever get involved.

I feel your pain as another whose house is not on their street

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

Vonny - 19 October 2021 01:22 PM

I feel your pain as another whose house is not on their street

I don’t have a street.  Should I feel hard done-by?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

I am torn between thinking this is now a thread populated by people with no dwelling occupied as the home; no right to reside or no habitual residence.

[ Edited: 19 Oct 2021 at 02:32 pm by Mike Hughes ]
Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1963

Mike Hughes - 19 October 2021 01:43 PM

I am torn between thinking this is now a thread populated by people with dwelling occupied as the home; no right to reside or no habitual residence.

Or Mr Couling and his House of Thank-You Cards?