Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Housing benefit - does this amount to a notification?

Nicola Hersh
forum member

Freelance benefits consultant, London

Send message

Total Posts: 106

My client is over pension age. His tenancy agreement states that he only pays a fixed percentage of the registered rent.  HB were given the rent registration document in 2018 and also given the accompanying notice which stated the percentage that was payable.

Unfortunately, HB were not informed when the rent increased again in early 2020. However, the amount of rent payable from 2020 is still lower than the rent registration document provided in 2018.

I have asked housing benefit to accept that they were informed of the 2020 increase (by way of the 2018 registration document,) but they have refused. A DHP has also been refused.

Is there any caselaw or any other way to show that they were informed within correct time period - or is the HB decision correct?

Prisca
forum member

benefits section (training & accuracy) Bristol city council

Send message

Total Posts: 198

How were the benefits section advised the amount the customer had to pay had changed?

You stated the LA were given the rent registration document showing the registered rent, and also confirmation that the tenant was charged less than thatt amount.
The eligible rent is what the customer is charged, so if the amount the customer was being asked to pay changed, then thats a chnage in circumstances
I am not sure how the LA having details of the rent registration could be seen as notification the amount the customer had to pay had increased

Were benefit payments made to the customer or to the landlords? If the rent contribution increased back in early 2020 your outside of the 13 month limit

beneficial changes have a 1 month time limit to notify, unless there are good reasons for the delay. If payments were made to the landlord, the customer may have assumed they would advise the LA on his behalf that the amount he was being asked to pay had changed.
I assume he has arrears now, hence the request for the DHP?