to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

SOR - UC Regulation 28 - Medical Evidence

wbamic
forum member

Mind in Croydon

Send message

Total Posts: 53

Was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers on the reasons behind this deicion? 

Very short History . 

-Long term LCW in UC in relation to mental health. 
-Client receives Cancer Diagnosis in March 2019 and undergoes surgery.  Did not report this change to UC. 
-October 2019 is sent UC50 as a planned review of LCW status. 
-Nov 2019 Phones UC and asks about the cancer treatment section on UC 50 .  At appeal PO reads out from the journal and from the client basically explaining that he had been told sending in evidence of cancer treatment / diagnosis is sufficient and not to worry about getting the cancer treatment section completed. 
- Nov 2019 UC50 is sent in along with reams of supporting information about incontinence related to the cancer .
- Sept 2020 - WCA carried out and client awarded LCWRA.  No backdating of the element. 

At appeal I basically took the view said that the journal entry mentioning cancer and medical evidence sent in Nov 2019 along with the UC50 should be considered as the fulfilling the duty to report a change of circumstance and the element could be awarded from then. 

The judge in their reasons has taken a different view, see attached. 

File Attachments

• sor.pdf (File Size: 89KB - Downloads: 1146)
Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 509

If it’s someone who already had LCW, wouldn’t the ‘relevant period’ have been when he first attained LCW?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

The problem with reg 28 was that it was written in order to accommodate the idea that a claimant would undergo one ‘relevant period’ during which they would provide medical evidence of LCW (i.e. GP notes). They would then get an assessment as either LCW, LCWRA (or neither). The relevant period would be a single event in any period of LCW/LCWRA.

When the LCW element was gotten rid of, reg 28 was amended and left in a bit of a mess. However I don’t understand the amended reg 28 to be saying that somebody who already has an LCW assessment is required to provide fresh evidence under the medical evidence regs to support their application to be assessed as LCWRA. That would not make any sense, as the medical evidence only attests to the fact that they are (in the opinion of the GP) LCW. The fact that the claimant is LCW is already, by definition, an accepted fact. Your client must already have submitted the fit notes from the GP at some point in the past.

So I think that the error in this case is by referring to reg 28 at all. In my view it was a red herring and did not have any application in a case where we are looking at going from LCW to LCWRA.

Instead the relevant provisions were those from the Decisions and Appeals Regs. Specifically, what needed to be done was to identify the ground of supersession and the effective date of that supersession.

As to the ground of the supersession, it would have been open to the DM to use either reg 23 (change of circumstance) or reg 26 (the general power to supersede on new medical evidence in WCA/PIP cases). This seems to be a case which is very obviously based on a change of circumstances (viz. an entirely new condition) so reg 23 really seems more appropriate.

In a reg 23 case, the effective date of the supersession is determined by the application of part 3 of schedule 1 of the D&A regs. The important points are generally when the change happened and when it was reported. In this case the judge seems to be saying that he did not accept that your client’s phone call amounted to a reporting of the change - that may or may not be defensible on the evidence. However it does seem quite clear that your client’s submission of the UC50 (whether that was at the DWP’s instigation or your clients) amounted to the reporting of the change.

So in summary, it seems to me that the FtT erred in treating this as a first assessment to which reg 28 applied rather than seeking to apply the provisions relating to supersession. Had it done so correctly then, in the worst case, the decision would have gone into effect from the point of the submission of the UC50.

wbamic
forum member

Mind in Croydon

Send message

Total Posts: 53

Elliot , thank you for the very comprehensive and informative response.  Very much appreciated.