to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC trawling cases for ID confirmation

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 309

had a client overpaid over £4000 UC . The nice man in my local job Centre looked on his screen and it seems that those cases that were passed through without proper ID checks in the first covid wave are now being trawled by a special UC hit squad to chase up ID that was not requested at the time of claim.  My client did not respond quickly enough an his claim was stopped and all the retrospective award is being clawed back on a deduction from earnings order, both client and his partner are having deductions from their wages to repay this £4000. Also the clients   asked for an MR back in April as confirmed by my friend in JCP and UC never responded to the MR request !!!
see thread on UC retrospective verification, this issue above seems to be the outcome of work of The Repair Team

[ Edited: 18 Aug 2021 at 04:07 pm by Diogenes ]
UB40
forum member

Debt and Welfare Advice, Community Money Advice, Launceston

Send message

Total Posts: 207

Diogenes
forum member

Send message

I have sent an appeal direct to HMCTS on the basis of no MR being provide, what will happen ???

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Diogenes - 19 August 2021 09:46 AM

I have sent an appeal direct to HMCTS on the basis of no MR being provide, what will happen ???

If the appeal was sent without a request for it to be referred to a judge for a Direction that it be admitted without an MRN (due to the unreasonable delay) it will probably not be admitted (and therefore not registered on HMCTS system) by a tribunal clerk for that reason and a letter (may) be sent to the appellant requesting a copy of the MRN - at which point the request for a Direction with reasons should be made (you could pre-empt this and send a request for a Direction now - but as the appeal is unlikely to be registered the chances of HMCTS linking them together .....?).

Even if you have sent the appeal with a request for Directions it may still not have been referred to a judge and the above occur - in our experience clerks have a habit of simply looking for an MRN and failing to admit / refer to a judge if one is not included even if an application for Directions is made. It is worth checking with HMCTS at intervals to check on progress, that the request has been referred to a judge etc and make a complaint if the admin fails to deal with the application for Directions. If the request for Directions has been sent to a judge to consider don’t expect a quick response!

Diogenes
forum member

Send message

Thank you Peter T, I did send it online so hopefully that will speed it up, I also made a point of the MR not being done. I see that the Govt have told folk to expect overpayments if they don’t comply with request to confirm ID. maybe my case will be joining a long queue of appeals !!!