Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Deductions from ESA

Bcfu
forum member

Blackpool Centre For Unemployed

Send message

Total Posts: 204

Hi,

I very rarely need to deal with ESA so hopefully someone can suggest a way forward.

My client is having deductions from her ESA but is unsure what they are for. I telephoned the DWP on Monday and clicked the option on deductions to be given an automated message saying they are unable to deal with this issue!

Is there any way to find out what the deductions are besides going down the SAR route?

Thanks

Adam

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

Think you’ll just need to ring debt management rather than the main number.

bristol_1
forum member

WRAMAS Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 241

Hi Bcfu, in my experience ESA should be able to tell you what deductions are being made. This should be possible via implicit consent/“alternative enquiry” - although you often encounter resistance if the operator doesn’t agree that it’s a reasonable enquiry.
See here for examples of information they can give out - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/working-with-representatives-guidance-for-dwp-staff/working-with-representatives-guidance-for-dwp-staff#steps-to-take-when-deciding-whether-to-disclose-information

Deductions are not specifically mentioned - one example of a legitimate enquiry is:
“he has a letter saying that he will be paid £xxx per week. Can you tell me how this has been calculated?” Arguably this covers deductions

If you have the capability to dial the client in on a conference call - this will solve any implicit consent issues and it can be empowering for them to be engaged in the phone call!

UB40
forum member

Debt and Welfare Advice, Community Money Advice, Launceston

Send message

Total Posts: 207

Any ESA agent should be able to inform you. They just need to type in Dialogue 505 in the Legacy system which unlike the UC build has a list of deductions.
Having said that some of the new Fixed Term staff may not have been fullly trained !

Bcfu
forum member

Send message

Hi,

Thanks for the replies - I will try and call them again (hopefully I get someone more helpful this time!).

Thanks

Adam

Pete at CAB
forum member

Welfare Benefits Adviser’ for Citizens Advice Cornwall

Send message

Total Posts: 380

If you can get them to pick up the phone! I have just referred a cl to his MP because despite several waits of 30-40 mins and a whole lot of giving info to ‘robot voices’ we couldn’t get anyone at ESA to pick up

[ Edited: 20 Aug 2021 at 01:32 pm by Pete at CAB ]
Bcfu
forum member

Send message

Completely understand that!! This is why I go down the SAR route as it forces them to give me the information I require - seemingly, the DWP don’t even like responding to letters!