to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

People who have no English

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 466

Does anyone know what measures are in place for a person who speaks no English to call the UC helpline?

I’ve got someone who really needs to request a recon and I’ve no trust in posting it in after multiple episodes of lost correspondence, but they speak no English at all.

Thanks

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 331

From my experience, as a supervisor of 5 HTC advisers, the provision of the interpreters by DWP is very patchy. We have already submitted complaints on behalf of clients, based on Public Sector Equality Duty which compels DWP to “eliminate discrimination, advance equality of opportunity and foster good relations”, and obtained financial compensation. I also wrote here before about poor service provided to telephone clients who do not speak English. I’ve had a discussion recently with my colleague at East European Resource Centre in London about this. The situation is so bad that we sometimes recommend submitting digital claim because it is easier to maintain- better chance of getting help with translating. I currently have few clients of that type.

Reasonable Adjustments guidance (http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2020-0646/120._Reasonable_Adjustments_v4.0.pdf) does not refer to language barrier at all.

Overall, if I was to use a professional terminology- interpreting provision by DWP is pants.

With regards to your query; calling through with complex recon is not a good tactic. Interpreters have quite limited understanding of terminology and from my own experience, as a Polish speaker, listening to some translations makes me want to scream. Plus you are really unable to be sure what was said and what notes were taken by poorly trained call handler. I’ve had some SARs which contained notes made by call agents and I tell you, AVOID leaving important messages with call handlers, if you can.

So if there is no Journal, get your client to make an appointment with their work coach, get a sub/MR statement in writing, and get your client to hand it in directly at the Jobcentre.
If client is not able to attend, they can nominate friend/relative to go in their place. Just explain to the UC Helpline call handler that this appointment is for submission of documents, as they set up the appointments differently, based on the reason for it.

Good luck

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 466

Jo_Smith - 04 August 2021 11:16 AM

Overall, if I was to use a professional terminology- interpreting provision by DWP is pants.

Good luck

deep joy!

Jo_Smith - 04 August 2021 11:16 AM

So if there is no Journal, get your client to make an appointment with their work coach, get a sub/MR statement in writing, and get your client to hand it in directly at the Jobcentre.
If client is not able to attend, they can nominate friend/relative to go in their place. Just explain to the UC Helpline call handler that this appointment is for submission of documents, as they set up the appointments differently, based on the reason for it.

Street homeless, banned from the Jobcentre, tells me there’s nobody who can go in for them.

I’ll post it, then post it again, then maybe again depending on my luck.

Thanks Jo

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Welfare rights - Greenwich Council

Send message

Total Posts: 226

We find conference calling to be most effective and if his English was good enough to confirm who he was for UC, I’d just spell out the MR over the phone. Although there has been a tendency recently where they say the case manager will call back to actually do the MR which I’m wary of.