Joint Claim for UC issues

Bcfu
forum member

Blackpool Centre For Unemployed

Send message

Total Posts: 204

Hi,

Hoping someone can help.

I have been helping a couple who have a joint UC claim. Unfortunately, one of them (GH) suffers from severe mental health issues and is currently in the Bradford Mental Health unit due to attempted suicide and a mental breakdown.

The money from their UC goes into GH’s bank account but she (MD) is not listed on the bank. GH has destroyed the bank cards and informed the bank that the cards have been lost - he has done this several times.

This has now left MD without any money at all. I telephoned UC to see if anything could be done i.e. treating this as a claim without a bank account, however was informed (rather unhelpfully) that nothing could be done and she would need to wait until its sorted out with the bank which could take several weeks (its not the first time this has happened)

Is the DWP correct that nothing can be done and is there anything else that we can do?

Thanks

Adam

UB40
forum member

Debt and Welfare Advice, Community Money Advice, Launceston

Send message

Total Posts: 207

Yes, you can apply for a split payment. Partner could open a basic bank account ( eg Co-op) or else use the Payment Exception Service.

https://www.gov.uk/payment-exception-service
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-alternative-payment-arrangements/alternative-payment-arrangements

Bcfu
forum member

Blackpool Centre For Unemployed

Send message

Total Posts: 204

Thank you!!

I knew there was another way to do this despite the outright refusal by the call centre agent! I’ll try contact them again (wish me luck aha).

Thanks

Adam

UB40
forum member

Debt and Welfare Advice, Community Money Advice, Launceston

Send message

Total Posts: 207

This is the sort of issue that someone from the DWP needs to take ownership of and unfortunately it may need a phone call or personal visit to the local jobcentre. Remember with UC, implicit consent does not exist so the claimant will have to make a journal entry giving you permission to do this.