to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP supersession

Rachel1
forum member

North East Law Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne

Send message

Total Posts: 145

I have a client who would like to ask for a supersession as her condition has gotten considerably worse since she was assessed. I have written the letter but am unsure whether or not to include the medical information at this point (of which there is a lot) or later on.  Will she definitely get a new PIP form to fill in or is there a possibility that if I include the evidence it will be accepted straight away?  Or should I just wait for a new form.

Thanks in advance for any advice - I havn’t gone through this process with a client before.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

Whilst in principle it is possible to formally make a traditional old-fashioned request supersession of a PIP award - for example to specifically say “I ought to go from mobility descriptor 2d to 2e for reasons x,y and z” - these requests seem invariably to result in the DWP starting the assessment process afresh. As such it is usually simpler for the claimant to ring up the helpline, indicate that they would like to be re-assessed due to changes in their health and put the relevant material in the new PIP2.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

What he said. Save yourself the heartache. Make the call.