to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

new style entitlement

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 309

My client gets CTC CB and has no housing costs, he is keen to avoid UC route, He has rec CA for 3 years and worked in the past for at least 15 years but had gaps. Could he get NS/ESA even though he has not worked in the past few years and did not work immediately prior to his CA award ??? He has plenty of medical conditions to support and ESA claim

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Why not UC?

I very much doubt the client will have paid enough contributions for last 2 working tax years to get NSESA

If they claim UC, and hand in sicknotes then they will be assessed in the same way as an ESA claim, and if put in support group will get over £100 a month more on UC than on NSESA

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1011

Diogenes - 08 July 2021 11:01 AM

My client gets CTC CB and has no housing costs, he is keen to avoid UC route, He has rec CA for 3 years and worked in the past for at least 15 years but had gaps. Could he get NS/ESA even though he has not worked in the past few years and did not work immediately prior to his CA award ??? He has plenty of medical conditions to support and ESA claim

If he received CA in the two tax years before this benefit year 2021 i.e. 2019/20 and 2018/19 yes he would satisfy the two contributions conditions for NS ESA.

See CPAG 2021/22 pages 979 - 983. In particular page 981 - 982 ‘when the first condition is relaxed re CA page 982 and ‘the second condition: paid or credited contributions page 982.

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 309

Thank you for the above replies, looks like UC pays more, but I think the permitted work for ESA could be handy if it still exists and that might trump UC, any ideas !!!???

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1011

Diogenes - 08 July 2021 12:32 PM

Thank you for the above replies, looks like UC pays more, but I think the permitted work for ESA could be handy if it still exists and that might trump UC, any ideas !!!???

Both UC and NS ESA can be paid together; Permitted work still exists re: a stand alone ESA claim….........

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 331

Diogenes - 08 July 2021 12:32 PM

looks like UC pays more

Not after September, unless major revolt by MPs…