to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

WCA whilst furloughed

slaw
forum member

Macmillan benefits advice team - Oldham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 88

This might be a case of me overthinking the issue and the answer could be quite straightforward.

I have a client who is furloughed and had been diagnosed with lymphoma.  His employer have not put him on sick leave and have continued to furlough him because he receives a higher level of pay if furloughed.  He would only receive SSP on sick leave. 

Can he undergo a work capability assessment for UC and be assessed as having LCWRA?  His furlough pay is above £617.76 per month and if he was actually working and earning this he would be treated as not having LCW.  He doesn’t receive PIP and so can’t be exempted this way from this rule.  If his pay was sick pay he would be ok as he wouldnt be treated as actually working.  Is he treated as being in work whilst furloughed as he would be for WTC?

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

If the earnings are above the threshold they could not normally be referred for a WCA. I don’t think it makes any difference if this is sick pay or furlough pay.
However if they are receiving or going to receive treatment by way of radiotherapy, chemotherapy or immunotherapy, including biological therapies or hormonal therapies they fall into a category of persons entitled to be automatically treated as having LCWRA. They are not required to have a normal WCA referral and the earnings threshold does not apply. As soon as they report the health condition and treatment, with a Fit Note, the DWP should action what they call a Day 1 WCA referral and issue the UC50.

http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2020-0646/152._Treated_as_having_LCWRA_v3.0.pdf

http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2019-0980/65._Immediate_WCA_referrals_v9.0.pdf

[ Edited: 23 Jun 2021 at 05:24 pm by Ianb ]