to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

PIP Deadlines

Helen Rogers
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Stockport MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 234

I found out today that the automatic extension of the deadlines for the return of all PIP forms ended on 14/05/21 because Royal Mail told PIP that there are no longer any problems with the post.  It seems no consideration has been given to the fact that advice services are still operating remotely - or that advice services need to be told about this.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Yeh, my client got a form yesterday with a return date of 2nd July due to it taking about 2 weeks to get out of the DWP printing press and all the way to…Halifax. Who knows how long it will take to get back to them via Wolverhampton, the mail train to Telford and into their Cloud Based Agility Platform, or whatever it is called.

Back to advising people to ring up, sit on hold for 40 minutes, and ask for a 2 week extension as soon as the referral comes in.

A total waste of everyone’s time.

Georgina G
forum member

Oldham Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 4

Hi Helen.

I have also been advised that a claim that hasn’t been returned by the said return date is an open claim and awaiting a decision.
Scenario, client made a telephone call to start claim, claim form received, not returned by 15th August, when client tried to reclaim, DWP have told her they can’t accept a new claim as there is already a claim in the system, this is despite the client being told that the claim had been cancelled, Can the client ask for an extension on the return date for the claim that’s in the system? any advice would be most welcome. Thanks GG

Helen Rogers
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Stockport MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 234

Funnily enough - since posting that above, PIP seem to have had more problems with their post than the whole time since the pandemic started.  So they are being more flexible about deadlines, but you can’t depend on it.  I would ring PIP to tell them the form’s on its way and send it back asap with a covering letter explaining the delay.