to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Benefit check

calman367
forum member

DIAL Lowestoft and Waveney

Send message

Total Posts: 5

This just doesn’t make any sense to me, can anyone help please?

I have a lady who can’t work due to ill health as she has Chronic lymphocytic leukemia, She was born in 1957 and husband born 1951.

She worked 4 weeks in 2019 from January to February as a self employed carer. she earned a total of £1980.00.

Their savings £2500.
Council House.
Rent should be £4640.48, they pay £872.04 per annum,
Council tax should be £1229.96, they pay £255 per annum.

His income from April 2021 is as follows:

State Pension £213.93 per week (not taxed, extra is from ex wife’s pension).
Civil service pension £346.78 per month before tax, £304.58 after tax per month. (this one will rise by £5.79 per month before tax after 6th April 2021

Annuity 1 - £1457.64 per year before tax, £1166.24 after tax.
Annuity 2 - £230.51 per year before tax, £184.51 after tax.
Annuity 3 - £70.66 per year (not taxed).

Now the problem i have is they are stating they get Housing Benefit & Council Tax Benefit? Apparently they started getting this once she was diagnosed with the CLL. I’ve done the old rights net checker and the new version and both coming out with no HB & C.Tax!
I’m thinking I will advise client to claim the PIP.  Can anyone help with this?? Thanks

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3549

I make total weekly income £311.53 - personal allowance for a couple £280.85 - therefore they would get both HB and CTB tho not quite the full amount as they are slightly over the personal allowance - haven’t done the checks but looks like it could fit in with what they’re getting.

Did you put the income into the calculator correctly - note civil service pension is monthly and others annual?

Probably a good idea to look at PIP too tho :)

CHAC Adviser
forum member

Caseworker - CHAC, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 260

I got the same as Daphne (well nearly, I got £311.29 which I figure is close enough!) for their income and when I put those figures into QBC it came back with entitlement to Housing Benefit and some Council Tax Reduction/Support.

calman367 - 31 March 2021 12:11 PM

Now the problem i have is they are stating they get Housing Benefit & Council Tax Benefit? Apparently they started getting this once she was diagnosed with the CLL. I’ve done the old rights net checker and the new version and both coming out with no HB & C.Tax!

Why are you concerned that they’re getting HB/CTR?

In any event I always take clients saying things like “when I was diagnosed with x suddenly benefit y kicked in!” with a pinch of salt, they’re never normally trying to mislead but the memory often plays tricks which leads them getting things mixed up.

calman367 - 31 March 2021 12:11 PM

I’m thinking I will advise client to claim the PIP.

Struggle to think of any time a PIP claim is likely to have a negative impact (outside a no recourse to public funds case) so that seems sensible! In this case it would probably be worthwhile as if he could claim carers allowance (he won’t get paid it due to it overlapping with his State Pension) then they’ll get a carer premium as well in the HB and CTR which will likely increase the amount they get.

Greg
forum member

Money Matters Money Advice Centre, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 45

Definitely get her applying for PIP. With CLL she could be on chemo tablets for the rest of her life, which often have a lot of side effects. She could be entitled to a decent award.

I’d double check that he has a clean bill of health… If you can get him onto AA that’d be a couple’s SDP due to boot.