to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

UC or not UC - that is the question.

Stuart G
forum member

Rainbow Money Advice, Barnet

Send message

Total Posts: 39

A Benefits check for a non-working client (in the London Borough of Barnet) showed that he would be £46 a week better off if he switched to UC.  (That includes £20 which may, or may not, still be payable in October.) 

Client is not computer-literate and might not be able to cope with using the Journal.  He’s also reluctant to use a phone alternative because he is unwilling to have any contact with the DWP because of an issue he had with them previously (and, for this reason, he won’t consider applying for PIP).

I’ve also heard of horror stories of people who have gone onto UC, were better off for a while, and then later on it turns out they would have been better staying put.

Client understands that there will be a managed transition when he is told to go on to UC (whenever that might be).

So, all things considered, I’m not sure whether going on to UC is better for him, even if he might be better off financially now.

Ultimately, I’ve given him the figures and the decision is his.  However, I’d be grateful for any thoughts as to whether it would be a good idea to encourage him to switch now, or wait until he’s got no option.

Thanks.

Stuart

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

All you can really do is offer the information based on assumptions. It isn’t possible to account for every scenario. Perhaps he finds a partner tomorrow and the calculation goes out the door, or a long forgotten tax credit debt ends up being deducted from his award. I think its good practice to make clear that all you can do is run the figures based on the current law and the facts you have been given and there could be other variables or the law or his circumstances could change.

In broad terms I find myself proselytising for UC quite often because people frequently have such a poor impression of it due to horror stories from friends and family that they do not want to discuss it. There are often a few advantages to UC which the person needs to be made aware of if they are going to make an informed decision and we should enable them to do so. But at the end of the day, it is up to them. Making decisions based on incomplete information is a part of life.