Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Letters Of Authority and Third Party Authorisations

Zeyneb Duman
forum member

Welfare Benefits Adviser, Notting Hill Genesis

Send message

Total Posts: 33

Hello

Does anybody have any HB guidance or Regs/Caselaw, excluding CO v London Borough of Havering regarding acceptable letters of authority from a third party organisation.

One council I am dealing with at the moment are being extremely difficult with accepting authority letters, and refusing to discuss matters with me.

They have their own Third Party Authorisation form which I have completed, but didn’t include a HB reference. I included details such as name, address, DoB, NINO and other identifiable details for the claim. They refused to discuss with me because of the lack of HB ref, even though it was a new claim so no HB ref was available.

They have also decided to not discuss matters because there is not a named person of the organisation included on the form.

It feels completely unreasonable that they have these barriers to discuss matters with them, even with GDPR to be considered.  What is the best way to counter argue when they won’t discuss the issue because of these reasons. It also seems to be a council wide issue as all advisers have the same attitude, so I can’t hang up on hope for someone else with more sense to answer.

Many thanks
Zeyneb