to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Expectation vs Reality

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

In introducing the, now repealed, 2017 amendments to the PIP Regs to reverse the effect of the MH decision, the DWP said:

“Failing to reinstate the original intention of the policy would have led to substantial unplanned increases to public expenditure totalling £3.7 billion (between 2016 to 2017 and 2021 to 2022).”

The equality assessment envisaged that 14% of the PIP caseload would have seen an increase in entitlement as a result of the decision which would be reversed amounting to 164,000 people on the then current caseload and higher as the number of people getting PIP grew.

It’s interesting against that backdrop to see that having now reviewed 1 million cases for compliance with both MH and RJ (which was not part of the impact assessment), the DWP has changed decisions and made awards in only 6,600 cases and paid out £32m.

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/around-32-million-has-been-paid-out-as-a-result-of-pip-review-exercise-following-upper-tribunal-decisions-relating-to-psychological-distress-and-carrying-out-activities-safely

Helen Rogers
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Stockport MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 233

When talking to a Case Manager about a client of mine who was awarded arrears of the mobility component under the MH trawl, he told me that I was very lucky.  I had hoped that Case Managers would view the outcome of a Mandatory Reconsideration as being based on the merits of the case not the luck of the representative.