to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Telephone claims and switching between online/phone

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 332

Or fancifully named non-digital relationships (sigh…)

I have attached the old version of this DWP guidance. It was called Making and Maintaining telephone claim.

I was shocked by the changes in comparison to the “Non-digital relationships” guidance (can be found here: https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/universal-credit-guidance)

Gone are the following factors which declared phone claim as more suitable:
- not having anyone to support them to make a claim online
- being unable to claim online even with support from Citizens Advice/Citizens Advice Scotland using the Help to Claim Service. In these cases, Citizens Advice/Citizens Advice Scotland will have identified that the claimant cannot use online services and a claim by phone is appropriate.
- not having access to a digital device or internet access to be able to make and maintain a claim online

This have been replaced by
- physical or mental ill health or disability, visual impairments
- lack of basic literacy
- lack of skills and training
-legal limitations such as Multi Agency Public Protection Arrangements
(MAPPA) or Terrorism Prevention Investigation Measures (TPIM)

Nothing about not having access to internet or devices which would allow maintaining online claim.

However, more importantly, gone is the following paragraph:
“If a claimant does not satisfy the above circumstances but insists on making a claim by phone, they must be allowed to do so.”

The new guidance does not have the following information neither:
“Claimants who are no longer able to maintain their claim online
There may be reasons why claimants with a digital claim are no longer able to manage their claim online. This could be short term, such as a brief admittance to hospital; or longer term, such as a new health condition.
Where a claimant has an online claim but now needs support similar to a claimant with a phone claim, the following actions should be taken:
- a profile note explaining the claimant’s circumstances should be added to the claimant history and ‘pinned’ to the claimant’s dashboard so agents are aware of their needs and any additional support required
- communication with the claimant will need to be through alternative methods, such as phone or post, rather than the journal
- any requirements placed on the claimant should consider their new circumstances
These arrangements should be regularly reviewed with the claimant by both work coaches and case managers to ensure they remain appropriate.”

When I call UC Helpline, I frequently encounter reluctance, borne of poor training, to switch clients from online to telephone claim. I struggle to quote or to refer to their internal guidance. No good quoting lofty primary legislation.

Does anyone have anything about switching between claims format? Perhaps some Spotlight issue?

I am also sad that these changes in the guidance have slipped under my radar. Feel cheated :(

File Attachments

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

I haven’t cross-reffed in detail, but much of what you refer to, e.g. “If a claimant does not satisfy the above circumstances but insists on making a claim by phone, they should be allowed to do so,” looks to be in the ‘spotlight on claims by phone’, given in this FOI request.

This document is referred to at the end of the ‘non-digital relationships’ guidance, though who knows what edits have been made to it since that FOI request.

On HTC, I can’t say we’ve noticed a massive change in attitude from DWP regarding resistance to phone claims, but my office is a very small sample size.