to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  The Social  →  Thread

Goodbye SDP gateway

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 458

I remember when I first saw the UC rates in the CPAG handbook back in 2013; that sight came with a sinking feeling that I have felt to some degree or another every since. This momentous day goes to amplify that feeling.

All I’ve (professionally) known and loved for nearly 23 years is slipping yet further from my grasp.

A grim day indeed!

EJ
forum member

Benefits advice line - Coventry City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 111

Dan Manville - 27 January 2021 10:27 AM

I remember when I first saw the UC rates in the CPAG handbook back in 2013; that sight came with a sinking feeling that I have felt to some degree or another every since. This momentous day goes to amplify that feeling.

All I’ve (professionally) known and loved for nearly 23 years is slipping yet further from my grasp.

A grim day indeed!

A grim day in every respect, Dan.

Silently weeping .......

Elaine

[ Edited: 27 Jan 2021 at 01:42 pm by shawn mach ]
Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 486

EJ - 27 January 2021 01:20 PM
Dan Manville - 27 January 2021 10:27 AM

A grim day indeed!

A grim day in every respect, Dan.

Silently weeping .......

Elaine

There is no sign of the end to the weeping
Boris replied to the question about keeping the extra £20 UC in PMQs that the government will continue to look after the people of this country

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Boris telling us he would “put his arms around” us at the start of COVID encapsulates my view of the government’s ability to do the right/appropriate thing for people in need.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

The SDP has had a tortured history. It was born into (long running) litigation and now it is ‘fading away’ subject to litigation. SDP was a late (unwanted by government) addition into Income Support legislation by the House of Lords in order to prevent severely disabled claimants being worse off under IS compared to Supp. Ben. Litigation followed its introduction to determine exactly who qualified for it (still have a ring binder filled with the case law somewhere in the office). The Gateway was introduced following litigation about who would be worse off as a result of moving to UC (sounds familiar?). I believe there is a phrase about governments and learning?

Al-Franco
forum member

Constituency Casework Team, Mike Kane MP

Send message

Total Posts: 2

Ah, the Supplementary Benefit Domestic Assistance Addition.  I remember it well.  This exchange in Hansard from 1986 may be of interest…
https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/1986-12-18/debates/b0d8d7a0-1084-433a-a9fa-3169f02deb56/SevereDisabilityPremium