to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

UC assessing LHA based on bedrooms in property rather than bedroom need

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

We’ve today been advised by a UC case manager that the UC system will assign bedroom need according to bedrooms in the property rather than bedroom need.

I’m guessing this won’t happen where a 1 bedroom need household is in a 2 bedroom property but we’ve been advised that for a 3 bed need family in a 2 bed property - the 2 bed LHA rate is correct, this is how the UC system is set up, cannot be adjusted and will not be reconsidered (!)

We will of course appeal but wanted to flag this for others. I’m a bit concerned as this is surely one element of a UC calculation that would not require manual input and in the absence of additional bedroom entitlement, be correctly calculated by formula if the household members, genders and ages are known and correct (which they are in this case).

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Their own guidance seems clear:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/890313/admf3.pdf

“F3110 When calculating the amount of the HCE for a renter a determination has to be made as to the size of the home it is reasonable for the renter to occupy. This is with reference to the number of people in the renter’s extended benefit unit, F3016.”

Number of rooms actually occupied is not a factor.

WR Adviser
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Community Law Service, Northampton

Send message

Total Posts: 83

I have seen this happening recently as well.  This is worrying as claimants are not always going to realise this and as a result lose out on benefit.

Sangeeta1
forum member

Support Services, Cystic Fibrosis Trust, London

Send message

Total Posts: 21

Ianb - 26 January 2021 05:38 PM

Their own guidance seems clear:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/890313/admf3.pdf

“F3110 When calculating the amount of the HCE for a renter a determination has to be made as to the size of the home it is reasonable for the renter to occupy. This is with reference to the number of people in the renter’s extended benefit unit, F3016.”

Number of rooms actually occupied is not a factor.

Do you know where the relevant rule is for Housing Benefit please?
I have a family determined to need 4 b/r but only allowed the 3 b/r rate because the house has 3 b/r.
Thanks,

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1417

Sangeeta1
forum member

Support Services, Cystic Fibrosis Trust, London

Send message

Total Posts: 21

Thanks Charles,