to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Residence issues  →  Thread

Rights for EEA family members during the grace period

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 486

Can anyone just confirm this for a local newsletter emailed out to support workers and social workers for me please:

I need some advice as soon as possible on EEA nationals for a newsletter going to support workers and social workers before Christmas – will be Thursday as my last day in work.  It needs to be straight-forward as for non welfare rights people.

I have written:

All EEA nationals and each of their family members who are living here before 11pm on 31st December 2020 need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme for ‘settled status’ or ‘pre-settled status’ before 30th June 2021.  However we strongly advise all EEA nationals to apply for settled status as soon as possible in case there are any problems or delays in their application - make sure your clients don’t leave it until the last minute.

It has been commented that:

There are some though that need to leave it until the last minute such as those family members who are claiming benefit on the basis that they are a family member of a EU national – as soon as that EU national is granted settled/presettled status, the family member will lose access to benefits – so not quite sure how to word this.

I was under the understanding that this issue (though without reading and getting my head round the whole thing) that this issue had been sorted by the November amendment regulations and the December regs for third party nationals – though I have realised that I need to add an urgent thing about residence doc for extended family members

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 486

I’m sorry but can I bump this up for thoughts as soon as possible as is my last day in work before Yule
Thanks

[ Edited: 17 Dec 2020 at 12:11 pm by Vonny ]