to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other areas of social welfare law  →  Thread

Winter Fuel Payment problems

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

We’ve been made aware that there are problems with Winter Fuel Payments this year.

There are two separate issues:

1) incorrect bank details sent to people
2) incorrect amounts

On (1) DWP assure us nothing more needs to be done but if you have a client with (2), then they do need to contact DWP as soon as possible - to be honest, if I had someone with (1), I’d probably contact them just to be on safe side.

More on this from MSE website - Winter fuel payment recipients urged to check details after 60,000+ letters with incorrect information sent out

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

DWP have been in touch and told us the following, which adds to information in previous post.

WFP problems

There have been some reports of problems with WFPs this year. Some people have received a letter including old bank account details, but this should not be a problem. DWP have the correct information and payment should still be made to the correct account.

However, if the notification letter gives the wrong information about eligibility – for example – says someone is going to receive a half payment when they live alone and should get the full amount – then they need to contact the DWP.

There is a slightly longer payment schedule this year, with an increased time between the notification being sent and the payment being made. So if someone hasn’t received a payment yet, that doesn’t necessarily mean that they been missed.  Gov.uk has a date of 13 January before contacting the DWP about non-payment. However, if people haven’t had a notification, then they should follow that up, as all notifications to UK addresses have been issued.

At present the WFP phone system is facing increased demand. The phone lines are open from 8-6pm and are likely to be quieter before 9.30 and after 3.30.

If customers are able to wait until 13 January before contacting DWP then it should mean that the telephone lines are less busy.

WR Adviser
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Community Law Service, Northampton

Send message

Total Posts: 83

I have someone who was given a payment as if their partner was still living with them although they became single during the qualifying week (partner died). I have tried to call the helpline for days, hanging on for long periods of time until it cut me off.  I would be concerned waiting until January to call due to the length of time between the letter giving the decision/award and phoning in January.  I have sent a letter - no reply so far!