Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

SDP gateway and single client recently separated.

HarlowAC
forum member

Harlow Advice Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 184

Dear All

Can I just check I’m on the right track.
I have a client who has recently separated from his partner. She claimed ESA for both of them and the award included SDP x 2.
My understanding is that he cannot claim a legacy benefit as although an SDP was being paid in respect of him, it was not his claim. He needs to claim UC.
Have I got this right?

Thanks in advance.

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

That’s my understanding.

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Unless any HB claim is in his name - and is staying with him.

HarlowAC
forum member

Harlow Advice Centre

Send message

Thanks both.
Yes, I’m going to double check the HB position but suspect that will have been her claim too.
What do you mean by the HB claim staying with him?

Va1der
forum member

Send message

Sorry, long day leads to silly wording.

I think I meant whether he was still claiming HB - or within the 1 month deadline of HB stopping (although in many circumstances where HB stops he would lose entitlement to the SDP anyway. Such as moving in with a relative).

On the other hand, if he’s not the claimant, and if they were still on amenable terms, they could swap claimants before he moves out

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Va1der - 24 November 2020 09:06 PM

On the other hand, if he’s not the claimant, and if they were still on amenable terms, they could swap claimants before he moves out

You can’t swap HB claimants, as he can’t make a new claim for exactly the same reasons that he can’t make a new ESA claim.

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1417

I think Va1der means to swap while still living together. During that time they could swap claimants due to the SDP.

Va1der
forum member

Send message

...Should have let this one lie yesterday. Clearly not thinking straight. Good thing other members keep watch. Paul is right, of course.

The exception would be if they are in a stage of the separation process where they still count as a couple for benefits purposes. Often find that people who call themselves ‘separated’ are actually still legally married, with some not even having started any formal proceedings.
Realising a swap in the middle of a separation process though can be a whole other matter. You wouldn’t normally be able to advise the wife, for one.

*Please don’t tell me there’s another error in that ^^

HarlowAC
forum member

Harlow Advice Centre

Send message

Va1der - 24 November 2020 09:06 PM

Sorry, long day leads to silly wording.

I think I meant whether he was still claiming HB - or within the 1 month deadline of HB stopping (although in many circumstances where HB stops he would lose entitlement to the SDP anyway. Such as moving in with a relative).

Thanks Va1lder. I know what you mean now!

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2905

Charles - 25 November 2020 09:47 AM

I think Va1der means to swap while still living together. During that time they could swap claimants due to the SDP.

I’ve been caught out by this one before.  Charles never misses a detail.  He’s right again because the SDP gateway is concerned with whether or not the claimant would be able to claim UC.  if you remain part of a couple with someone who has/recently had an SDP, that prevents both of you from claiming UC and in turn enables either partner to claim legacy, so the switcheroo is possible.