to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP reassessment

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

I’m just looking for some opinions on reassessment. I have a client who is in receipt of EDL and SM. His mobility has worsened and he has asked to be reassessed. I’m just wondering how people complete the form? Do they find it best to complete the full form or just the parts that are relevant to the change? Does just writing ‘condition the same as last assessment’ actually go against claimants? What is best practice?

unhindered by talent
forum member

Welfare Rights Team, Aberdeenshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 445

CDV Adviser
forum member

Send message

Thanks. The reason I am asking is that I have always written ‘no relevant change in circumstances’ for the parts not affected. However, I have had 2 cases fairly recently, when the award was refused as there was nothing declared for those sections. Both had to go to tribunal. So, do I over-egg the pudding and include everything again, even though they have already made a positive decision?

unhindered by talent
forum member

Send message

Yeah, some years ago I did the same and the award was reduced. Although I explained that they had no grounds for reducing the award, the client was too afraid to pursue it. Now, I state ‘No change. I still have difficulty/need help ...’ and reiterate everything that the client got points for. So far, that has worked but others may have a different view.

CHAC Adviser
forum member

Caseworker - CHAC, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 259

unhindered by talent - 16 November 2020 02:35 PM

I state ‘No change. I still have difficulty/need help ...’ and reiterate everything that the client got points for. So far, that has worked but others may have a different view.

That’s been my approach for a little while now. Clearly say “No change” and follow up with a sentence or two just saying “I still have problems with/I still need supervision to/etc”. As with you that seems to have worked quite well where we’re just after continuing the award rather than increasing it.

unhindered by talent
forum member

Send message

Phil R, I think you have your answer. Better to cover all bases than to risk a refused award (and potential loss of premiums, esp. SDP) By answering ‘No change’ you’re saying there has been no relevant change of circumstances and by reiterating the existing needs, you’re demonstrating how they continue to meet the points scores originally awarded. Slightly trickier if you don’t know what the original points scores were.

CDV Adviser
forum member

Send message

Thanks for the replies. unfortunately, in this case I haven’t got the previous decision.

unhindered by talent
forum member

Send message

May have to bite the bullet and go from scratch

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Treat it as a full form for me every time. If you write no change DWP are in the habit of concluding that you have made an assertion for which they have no other evidence and so… it’s time for a HCP report.

I have been known to brow beat them with the entire contents of the last claim pack added in.

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Bit of juggling of priorities I think.

1) If I write ‘no relevant change’ I can do 3 forms in the time of 1 (provided i’t doesn’t result in an appeal case)

2) Whether the previous award was based on an accurate reflection of the conditions - might want to correct that, even if the award would stay the same.

3) How complex (or better said, how difficult to quantify into PIP points) the conditions are. If it’s based on broken bones, it should suffice to say: my bones are still broken.

There are also the clients who we might want to encourage to complete the forms themselves (or teach them how to do it in the future). Quite a few clients will write too much, rather than too little, and prompt a reassessment that way.

I think it is one of those cases where a short GP letter can be valuable - just to the tune ‘my patient’s health conditions are the same as 18 months ago (+some new)’. Easier for them and us to provide this, rather than a lengthy one for appeal later.