to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

Unable to get a NINO during COVID?

RAISE Advice
forum member

RAISE Benefits Advice Team, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 147

Have a client who has been granted indefinite leave to remain - though is unable to get a NINO as currently all the offices are closed and the application line still isn’t in action.

She’s living her partner who’s HB has been suspended on the basis that she needs to provide a NINO - the LA are refusing to budge on this without a NINO for her.

I’m just wondering how I should be approaching the situation and the quickest way to get this resolved - given it currently doesn’t appear to be possible to get a NINO. I would have hoped the LA would have been given guidance on how to treat situations like this, beyond suspending claims.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

Mr Jim
forum member

Asylum & Roma Team, Social Work Services, Glasgow City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 134

Alan,

The Home Office (HO) usually allocate a NI no. when giving LTR and this is usually on the back of the Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). I have seen several cases where they have failed to do this but in most cases they do. I think it depends on who in the HO processes your BRP - this is grossly unfair as they should be treating everyone equally and the HO know that the refugee needs a NI number. If the NI no. is not on the back of the BRP advise them to complain to their MP about how the HO has treated them.

Jim

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

If only there was something, anything, which the LA could do to resolve this situation rather than just being obstructive.

1.282 If a claim for HB/CTB is received from a couple and it is established that there is an entitlement to benefit and the partner does not have a NINO, complete form DCI 1 and send it to the local DWP office.

1.283 When completing form DCI 1, it is important to
•  enter the partner’s details in the ‘Customer details’ section
•  enter customer details in the ‘Additional information’ box, and
•  tick the ‘Yes’ box under ‘Partner of a benefit customer’

1.284 When DWP receive form DCI 1, if they cannot trace a NINO for the individual, they will undertake an evidence of identity interview and establish whether the partner is entitled to a NINO. If the individual is a partner in a claim to HB/CTB and they do not have leave to enter or remain in the UK, Jobcentre Plus will
•  refuse to allocate a NINO
•  annotate the ‘Comments box’ with Immigration status invalid
•  return form DCI 1 to the LA advising that a NINO has been refused

1.285 To pay the HB/CTB claims when the partner’s NINO has been refused due to ‘immigration status invalid’ you will need to enter the partner’s NINO onto your IT systems using the prefix letters OO followed by six numbers and then the letter A. As some HB/CTB IT systems require a unique reference number we have not specified which numbers should be used.

1.286 This change does not affect the HB payment regulations and the claim should still be treated and paid as a couple.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/housing-benefit-and-council-tax-benefit-guidance-part-d