to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

New Style ESA and UC

juliem
forum member

Macmillan welfare rights advisor - Barnsley MBC, Barnsley

Send message

Total Posts: 125

Apologies if this has been covered before but my brain has had enough of lockdown and rain and can’t think.

Client normally works, is on basic Statutory Sick Pay. Partner has been on New Style ESA for 15 months, in Support Group and gets £105 per week as has a pit pension of £100 per week. Partner also on Standard Rate PIP both.

Rented property so would need to claim UC for Housing Element of about £75 per week.

Client has delayed claiming UC as has been frightened by friends telling her that claiming UC leads to losing other benefits.

if anything is likely to change or be lost, I am not grasping that notion. Is anything likely to change or be lost?

Thanks in advance for any clarity offered.

CAAdviser
forum member

Central and South Sussex Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 57

Claiming UC will not affect SSP, new-style ESA or PIP i.e. these will continue even if you claim UC.

As I am sure you know 63% of the SSP over the work allowance will be deducted from the UC maximum amount (they will be entitled to a work allowance to as one person has a LCW). The couple should also be eligible for a Work Capability Element.  The nsESA and pension will be deducted in full.  PIP is disregarded.

Have you considered CA/CE?

The benefits that would end when you claim UC are housing benefit, irJSA, irESA, IS and tax credits - any income based benefit basically.  There is a two week run-on of HB, irJSA, irESA and IS.

Hope that helps.

juliem
forum member

Macmillan welfare rights advisor - Barnsley MBC, Barnsley

Send message

Total Posts: 125

Thank you. I knew there was nothing Income Related in there, but was having a small nightmare of improbable happenings, given that the DWP tries to do such strange things sometimes.
Carer’s Allowance or Element may come into it later, but not just yet.
Thank you for your help.

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

juliem - 28 August 2020 02:30 PM

..Carer’s Allowance or Element may come into it later, but not just yet.

Why later? If client looks after partner for 35 hours/week and declare this then they are entitled to have carer element included. Or does not partner not need caring for?