to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

First-tier Tribunal Expedition Procedure

Lynsey
forum member

Lawyer, CPAG

Send message

Total Posts: 10

Following on from my earlier post on expediting cases in the FtT, https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/15579/, I have now been advised by the Tribunal Service that requests for expedition are considered by a judge promptly after they are submitted. Appropriate cases are then fast-tracked.

They key to having a request considered is to be clear about what you are seeking. If a submission requesting expedition is sent to the FtT by e-mail, the subject line should be something like “Please refer to judge - request for expedition”. The Tribunal Service receives a high volume of e-mails every day and so including the need for a judge’s input in the subject line will reduce the chances of it being missed.

The case should also be suitable and expedition necessary to avoid severe hardship or destitution. Universal credit claim refusal appeals often need to be fast-tracked, as the claimant will have no other source of income while they await the appeal hearing.

If you are considering requesting expedition on a case, I would be grateful if you could contact me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address), as I am keen to find out how this process works in practice.

Lynsey
forum member

Lawyer, CPAG

Send message

Total Posts: 10

Lynsey - 21 August 2020 03:20 PM

Following on from my earlier post on expediting cases in the FtT, https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/15579/, I have now been advised by the Tribunal Service that requests for expedition are considered by a judge promptly after they are submitted. Appropriate cases are then fast-tracked.

They key to having a request considered is to be clear about what you are seeking. If a submission requesting expedition is sent to the FtT by e-mail, the subject line should be something like “Please refer to judge - request for expedition”. The Tribunal Service receives a high volume of e-mails every day and so including the need for a judge’s input in the subject line will reduce the chances of it being missed.

The case should also be suitable and expedition necessary to avoid severe hardship or destitution. Universal credit claim refusal appeals often need to be fast-tracked, as the claimant will have no other source of income while they await the appeal hearing.

If you are considering requesting expedition on a case, I would be grateful if you could contact me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address), as I am keen to find out how this process works in practice.

Hi all, I just wanted to re-post this now that we are in September, as people may have been on leave etc over the summer.
If you do have any examples where you have requested expedition, or if you have a case that you think may be suitable, please do get in touch, as we need an understanding of how things are working in practice in order to assess whether we need to request changes.
Thanks,
Lynsey.