Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

New consent issues?

< 1 2

dizzymare
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Dudley MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 318

HI Just had information that some (all?) call handling is outsourced to Serco/Capita ... I think that answers the question of why we are having issues with consent. ...

leeosborne
forum member

Airewharfe Mental Health Services, BDCT, Keighley

Send message

Total Posts: 36

Irritatingly just had the same problem. DWP universal credit worker said that without client being with me he could not look at client’s journal to verify that client has given consent for DWP to talk to me about the claim. He agreed to check with a colleague and then came back to say he is right and that me saying I’ve been able to do this for yonks makes no difference.

Equally unhelpful was that my next move to ring the local job centre escalation number resulted in me being told that escalation is no longer available.

Feeling unusually frustrated….

dizzymare
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Dudley MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 318

HI lee, it was suggested to us that our client ask for a call back from the service centre (as above,  it is likely that the people you are speaking to are serco/capita employees and not DWP). The issue is that the call back would probably be made to client (which is no help at all if they need someone to advocate) I think call backs will still be from the case manager at service centre. It may be worth asking your client to ask service centre to call you instead of them and again repeat explicit consent.  Re the escalation route, do you have an email for the DWP partnership team for your area? I have raised this with our team and asked them to escalate the matter as they have a feedback tool.  Not sure if this will change anything or even if there is the will on behalf of DWP to do so, but as you say makes work very difficult these days!

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 466

yesterday when i spotted this thread I thought “on no not again!” but, true to form, the Helpdesk has just told an advisor who I won’t name, that they can’t speak to anyone apart from the appointee even if there’s an explicit consent entry on the journal.

edit. a very helpful worker has just told me that it’s a line coming down from management as well as through the Helpdesk

This is the third time I’ve heard the same line today!

Just posting the guidance here.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/working-with-representatives-guidance-for-dwp-staff

[ Edited: 28 Oct 2020 at 04:06 pm by Dan Manville ]
leeosborne
forum member

Airewharfe Mental Health Services, BDCT, Keighley

Send message

Total Posts: 36

Thanks dizzymare, will bear those tips I mind should it happen again. Managed to sort it finally by having DWP and client on two phones both on loudspeaker.

Owen_Stevens
forum member

UC Adviser, CPAG

Send message

Total Posts: 593

Inverclyde HSCP Advice Services
forum member

Inverclyde Council

Send message

Total Posts: 142

We’re having the same issue. Raised it with local partnership manager who echoed what I’ve already read on this thread, untrained staff working for contractors.

I was also told that a national email would be sent out and feedback was going to be given to the call handler directly.

Lip service? This has been dragging on far too long.

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 466

Inverclyde HSCP Advice Services - 03 November 2020 11:45 AM

Lip service?

I’ve come to expect nothing more.