to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

degree level apprenticeships

Glenys
forum member

Housing Systems, Leeds

Send message

Total Posts: 206

Anyone come across degree level apprenticeships before?
https://www.ucas.com/alternatives/apprenticeships/apprenticeships-england/what-apprenticeships-are-available/degree-apprenticeships

Struggling to work out if someone on one of these would count as a student 9in which case further questions would need to be asked) or as an apprenticeship (in which case different further questions would need to be asked!)

Thanks!

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 868

i think the fact it says “employed” suggests to me that its an apprenticeship where they are an employee rather than a student.

Glenys
forum member

Housing Systems, Leeds

Send message

Total Posts: 206

That’s what I’m hoping!

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

It looks like employment to me.  When I served my time as an engineer in the 1970’s I was wholly employed by the company and doing one day per week at the local college (known as day release) did not make me a student in any way.  I think the same applies here.

“How do they differ from sandwich degrees and work placements?

Degree apprenticeships build on the existing models of sandwich degrees (spending a year in industry) and work placements (doing industry placements in term time or holidays), but differ in several key ways:
• Degree apprentices are employed throughout and are doing paid work from day one.
• Employers may view these apprenticeships as a way of recruiting top prospective graduates.
• Degree apprentices are likely to have a greater attachment to their employer, and already being employed means they are more likely to stay with that company afterwards. Retention rates for apprentices can exceed 80%.
• In cases where a new degree is developed, employers will be able to work with universities to shape the overall degree programme and all aspects of their apprentice’s training.”

https://www.ucas.com/alternatives/apprenticeships/apprenticeships-england/what-apprenticeships-are-available/degree-apprenticeships

“5. As an apprentice, you’ve got employee rights.

A fifth of those we surveyed thought apprentices aren’t eligible to receive the same benefits as other employees, and a further 35% weren’t sure. Right? Wrong. As well as gaining hands-on training and learning as an apprentice, you are also, essentially, a company employee. This means you have the same rights as the rest of the workforce, including pay (of at least the apprenticeship minimum wage), holiday entitlements and other benefits”.

https://www.ucas.com/alternatives/apprenticeships/seven-things-you-didnt-know-about-higher-and-degree-apprenticeships-should

Greg
forum member

Money Matters Money Advice Centre, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 45

Remember that it’s not merely being a student which is pertinent but whether the claimant is a full-time student. Which in the case of a graduate-level apprenticeship where employment takes up 80% of the programme (or thereabouts), they’re obviously not full-time.