to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Residence issues  →  Thread

No current leave, UC claim, leave later granted

Mike Haran
forum member

Caseworker, Richmond CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 29

The client’s leave (NRPF not a condition) expired. 6 months later she has applied for an extension of her previous leave.

If she applies for UC now and she is subsequently granted leave to remain, can she receive UC from the date of claim?

roecab
forum member

Welfare benefits supervisor - Roehampton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 465

Mike,

As she did not make an ‘intime’ application, then until her applictation is determined she is not entitled to claim UC, and when leave is granted she can only apply from the date it is granted. As far as I am aware there is no provision to backdate.

“The most obvious one affects those who are applying to renew their leave. People in this situation must submit their application before the expiry of their current leave to avoid becoming overstayers”

From

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/application-date-leave-to-remain-in-the-uk/

Cheers

Mike Haran
forum member

Caseworker, Richmond CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 29

Sorry, I should have made clear that I am assuming any leave is eventually granted from the date of the application, ie before any claim for UC.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

Mike Haran - 03 June 2020 11:28 AM

Sorry, I should have made clear that I am assuming any leave is eventually granted from the date of the application, ie before any claim for UC.

No it isn’t. The leave is only effective from the date it is given and UC wouldn’t be backdated.

roecab
forum member

Welfare benefits supervisor - Roehampton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 465

Elliot,

Thanks for the confirmation

Best wishes