Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

WTC stopped due to Disability element withdrawn

bigbill
forum member

Dumfries Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 127

Heard from about 4 in the last 2 weeks.

WTC letter saying all stop due to PIP or DLA stopping, but PIP or DLA never claimed got TC years ago due to Incapacity / ESA route so still entitled as limited in the work or hours they can work weekly.

WTC helpline no use and quite ignorant to be honest I’m sure I cannot be the only one having major problems with this, spoken to MP but feel they struggle to follow the issue?

Action for M.E.
forum member

Action for M.E, Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 2

I just took a call about this as well, anyone know what is going on?

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

There are a number of threads reporting the same issue on another forum. I wonder if it’s something in the software used to generate renewal packs this year.

EJ
forum member

Benefits advice line - Coventry City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 111

My client’s letter and enquiry form referred her to the TC956 Disability Helpsheet to check she still met the criteria.

I haven’t seen one of these enquiry letters for several years, but, as our LA HB scheme auto-recalculates every time there is a slight amendment to either the earned income or the WTC and “loses” the disability element every time, this particular client is very good at getting in contact very quickly.
So I’m able to keep her right.

But we perhaps should be worried about the rest?

LITRG
forum member

Low Incomes Tax Reform Group

Send message

Total Posts: 107

I have raised this with HMRC via the Benefits and Credits Consultation Group. I have seen a number of these reported - all similar accounts of a letter that refers to DLA/PIP stopping but they never claimed DLA or PIP and probably qualify under Case G of the regulations. I’ll post an update when we get a response.

[ Edited: 15 Jun 2020 at 09:19 am by LITRG ]
LITRG
forum member

Low Incomes Tax Reform Group

Send message

Total Posts: 107

We have published some info on this on our website https://www.litrg.org.uk/latest-news/news/200605-have-you-received-letter-about-disability-element-tax-credits - keen to hear from people whether the issues are getting resolved.