Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Park Home and Housing Benefit

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

Wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Elderly client living full time in park home on holiday park, so shouldn’t be living there all year around (but has been for last 12 years’ or so). Tried to make HB claim but local authority refuse to accept as they say he shouldn’t be living there all year.

They’re correct on that aspect of course, and that may become a bigger problem in time, but in the here and now, does he potentially have any entitlement to HB?  I’ve looked at the regs for excluded tenancies and they don’t seem to apply to me (as they’re framed about being about gypsies and travellers),.

Obviously, we can insist that the authority accept a HB claim and make a decision but can he have any HB entitlement in such a situation? Don’t want to take this action if it’s all going to be for nothing.

Any assistance would be very gratefully welcomed.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2895

The two narrowboat cases that I mentioned in this thread should be helpful.  The question is whether he does live there, not whether he should.

The “excluded tenancy” stuff is about how the eligible rent is calculated: county council traveller sites are excluded from referral to the Rent Officer but private sites are not, which means the client’s HB eligible rent will be based on a Rent Officer’s Local Reference Rent

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

Of course, can’t believe that I forgot your response on a thread I also posted on.

Thanks very much Peter, that’s really helpful, much appreciated :-)