Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

Request for comments on Covid-19 & Tribunal procedures, for PIP & Administrative Dispute research paper

Amy@IALS
forum member

Associate Research Fellow, Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, University of London

Send message

Total Posts: 1

Hello all,

I just want to make a quick call out in case any of you have the time to offer up observations on the current state of play with PIP appeals & tribunal procedure during the lockdown.

I am an Associate Research Fellow at the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, University of London.
and about to publish a research article on changes to PIP assessments. But the current situation with COVID needs addressing - especially in light of HMCTS move to virtual/remote appeals in normal times.

I am aware of the current guidelines for the SEC, and that DLA/PIP transitions/renewals have been suspended, but it is very unclear to me how single judge tribunal appeals are working…..esp. where direct telephone contact is required for cases where clarification is needed?

Given that PIP is a gateway to Carers Allowance, one question I want to raise (even if publication dates & empirical data deny a full answer), is whether PIP is being delayed or denied because of lockdown, and if so then what wider public health issues should be considered e.g increased transmission due to increased demands on unpaid carers.

I would be extremely grateful for any statements that might provide some preliminary insight into current challenges/future prospects (obvs allowing for the very fluid situation and regional variations).

My focus has been upon how the ‘simplification’ of initial disability claims has simply increased demands on other services (including HMCTS and the NHS), and has not only reduced access to justice but led to a lack of transparency, hiding overt failures of governance in the wider social setting, where they are harder to quantify and bring to account.

Thank you so much for reading.
Amy

********************************************************************************************************

By way of introduction/transparency -I offer a link to research note I published at the IALS, aimed at people with an interest in legal studies but who may be unfamiliar with PIP.
https://journals.sas.ac.uk/amicus/article/view/5134/5019