to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

Government Gateway announcement

clive
forum member

Newcastle Council Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 122

Today’s news item in Rightsnet: “New universal credit claimants can now verify their identity through Government Gateway”
https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/new-universal-credit-claimants-can-now-verify-their-identity-through-government-gateway

Gov press release:

“Universal Credit claimants to verify identity through Government Gateway
People applying for Universal Credit will now be able to use their existing Government Gateway account to confirm their identity, helping to speed up their claim.
The move ... will be available to those who have used the Government Gateway in the last 12 months to access their Personal Tax Accounts, including to check their tax credits, send a personal tax return, or check their state pension.”

But wasn’t the ‘Government Gateway’ replaced by a several services for different purposes? The link to the one I think they are referring to is this one: https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account but the press release doesn’t link to any so am just guessing and without it, could cause confusion for people so may give up!

I just wonder if anyone has clearer information (I’ve asked our local part’ manager)

clive
forum member

Send message

Haha, replying to myself.
So it appears that despite there being several ‘services’ and not just one government gateway, you only need to create one log in ID which is usually a 12 digit number and password - which is useable for any of those services.

Is that right? (that’s not to myself)

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 470

Hi Clive - purely from my own experience, that is correct. I have a Government Gateway ID which I can use to log in to several services.

clive
forum member

Send message

Thank you - most obliged