to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

Registering intention to claim UC with JCP

CAAdviser
forum member

Central and South Sussex Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 57

I am trying to help two clients with supported phone claims today but UC line is constantly engaged.

I understand that it is possible to register an intention to claim with JCP to protect the date of claim?

Is this correct, and how would i go about this?

Many thanks

Carolyn McA
forum member

Adviser, Citizens Advice and Rights Fife

Send message

Total Posts: 53

I’m afraid the only way I know of is to call the UC helpline - in my experience some agents will take the claim there and then and others say they have to arrange a callback at a later date for the claim to be taken*, but in the latter case the claim is registered on the day of the original call to the helpline, which is then used as the date of claim. 

Have you tried calling via the priority number for Help to Claim (Edited number out as CitA number only)- not to be given out to clients)? I haven’t used it since the start of the lockdown, but in normal times it put you at the front of the queue - it’s the same line as 0800 328 5644 - and was usually answered more or less immediately. I’d imagine there’ll be more of a wait just now, but not as long as on the public number, providing it’s still operating as usual (and no one’s told us it isn’t!)

If you can’t get through today I’d request backdating on the grounds that the service was unavailable.

*I believe this is because not all agents are authorised to take clients’ bank details and NINOs over the phone.

Edited to remove CitA number
NB If you took a note of the number before it was edited out and are not CitA, please don’t use it.

[ Edited: 8 Apr 2020 at 09:48 am by Carolyn McA ]
Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

Carolyn McA - 07 April 2020 04:11 PM

Have you tried calling via the priority number for Help to Claim

I think you should edit that number out, this is a public forum ...