Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

Homeless applicants and signing HB form for temp accommodation

Madamejones
forum member

Benefits Take Up officer - Cheltenham Borough Council, Gloucestershire

Send message

Total Posts: 44

Hi

Would be interested to know what other LA’s are doing regarding signing HB forms for those that their housing options teams are placing into B & B/Hotels?

Ideally my colleagues do not need to see people they are placing but the HB team are saying the form still needs to be signed because of subsidy rules.

I get the fact that if it were an applicant applying where we are not involved and say they are needing to complete a change of address form with a new tenancy agreement. But this is us placing into a B & B where the charge is the charge and all HB need to do is verify what benefits the applicant is on in order to process. There won’t be many who we place who are working and will need to supply wage slips/bank statements etc etc.

Madamejones
forum member

Benefits Take Up officer - Cheltenham Borough Council, Gloucestershire

Send message

Total Posts: 44

Madamejones - 27 March 2020 12:03 PM

Hi

Would be interested to know what other LA’s are doing regarding signing HB forms for those that their housing options teams are placing into B & B/Hotels?

Ideally my colleagues do not need to see people they are placing but the HB team are saying the form still needs to be signed because of subsidy rules.

I get the fact that if it were an applicant applying where we are not involved and say they are needing to complete a change of address form with a new tenancy agreement. But this is us placing into a B & B where the charge is the charge and all HB need to do is verify what benefits the applicant is on in order to process. There won’t be many who we place who are working and will need to supply wage slips/bank statements etc etc.

Our HB manager has just said DWP has sent some info that he will digest over the weekend but says there looks to be several relaxations…..so fingers crossed!