Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Child element and Child Benefit

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 458

Hullo!

I’ve seen this a couple of times now; UC refusing to pay the CE without CB in payment. A Work Coach has told my latest client that the computer needs the Child benefit ref before it can pay the CE; classic “computer says no” that we’ll come to know and love.

Knowing that The Build has placed other extra statutory restrictions on peoples’ entitlement I suspect another one here.

Has anyone else run into this; no CE without CB?

Thanks

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Welfare rights - Greenwich Council

Send message

Total Posts: 222

We had one which was a 50/50 shared contact agreement where the other partner was receiving the CB that had to go to tribunal and was successful in the end and she did receive her money very smoothly at that point so there must be a way around the child benefit ref!

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 458

Rebecca Lough - 13 March 2020 03:49 PM

We had one which was a 50/50 shared contact agreement where the other partner was receiving the CB that had to go to tribunal and was successful in the end and she did receive her money very smoothly at that point so there must be a way around the child benefit ref!

They can pay manually. They don’t like to though hence they’ve told both my clients “no CE until CB”.

The whole “computer says no” culture tires me…

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 551

Yes, I’ve also had a client where there was a refusal to pay the Child Element until Child Benefit in payment. It’s been resolved now, but as she needed to prove a right to reside, there could have been a longer than normal wait for the Child Benefit to be established.