to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Claiming SDP

Uncleduff
forum member

Generalist Adviser - Pennine West Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 18

Hi, I’m new to all this, so this is probably an easy question!...

How does a Client claim SDP if they are not getting it?

Client is getting erPIP both daily living and mobility, gets irESA in the support Group.  She lives alone and there is nobody claiming carers allowance/carers element for her.

I understand there is an IS10 form?  Do they have to make a claim over the telephone?  I’ve been trying to get through to ESA helpline but I’ve been on hold for an eternity.  Finally got through to someone in the Hackney call centre after 50 mins on hold and was told that the client has to be with me to process this.
I am not a caseworker, just a generalist adviser, I’ve had two appointments with the client present trying to do this without success.

thanks in advance!

WROTricia
forum member

Advice Works, Renfrewshire

Send message

Total Posts: 102

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/7359

Printable version linked to on this thread.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

It can be done by phone, I would think it’s correct that the client would need to be present to make the declaration. The IS10 form is still also an option I believe.

Your office may have a list of escalation numbers or Benefit Centre contact numbers. We have found the direct number for the relevant ESA Claims Maintenance office (Hull, in our case) very useful for things like asking for an IS10 to be posted to a client who isn’t present.

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Welfare rights - Greenwich Council

Send message

Total Posts: 222

If your phone system will allow it, we’ve done IS10s over the phone with the client present through it being a conference call from our end. Advantage of the phone is that it gets done there and then.

Uncleduff
forum member

Generalist Adviser - Pennine West Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 18

Thanks for all our help, much appreciated!