to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Why Do they Persist?

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 615

Represented in a Personal Independence Payment reassessment appeal on Friday.

DWP took all my client’s PIP away because a nurse said that my client scored 0 points

The Tribunal have awarded the enhanced rate of both the daily living and the mobility components Add the severe disability premium and you are talking of an increase in income of around £214 per week backdated to December 2018.

Interesting that the DWP sent a presenting officer who never said a word. The Tribunal’s decision notice also says that in making its decision the tribunal placed particular reliance on the oral evidence of the appellant and the written submission from her representative Mr Stainsby

All goes to show that there is something very wrong with the decision-making processes in the DWP

MickD
forum member

Welfare Rights Derbyshire County County

Send message

Total Posts: 101

What if all appeal decisions (successful or unsuccessful) were referred back to the relevant Health Care Professional.  Cases could be anonymised.  This would be a great learning tool.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

I think you’ve missed the memo Derek. Your client’s PIP was removed because a HCP says that they scored 0 points. I’m not sure what further explanation you need.

If you won your appeal, it was because you supplied magic new evidence changing the decision which the HCP couldn’t possibly have known about or obtained.

MickD
forum member

Welfare Rights Derbyshire County County

Send message

Total Posts: 101

The idea being that the HCP could see that the tribunal awarded lots of points where they had awarded none.

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 615

Magic new evidence?

Not really (unless the reference in my client’s medical notes to my client’s height and weight counts)

A detailed submission arguing the case? yes of course

What I find particularly interesting is that the DWP sent a presenting officer who effectively didn’t present her case.  She said nothing and declined to ask any questions

CHAC Adviser
forum member

Caseworker - CHAC, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 260

Stainsby - 18 February 2020 02:09 PM

What I find particularly interesting is that the DWP sent a presenting officer who effectively didn’t present her case.  She said nothing and declined to ask any questions

Seems to be par for the course! The majority of POs that I see add very little beyond perhaps a tiny bit of case history which wasn’t in the papers. There’s a handful which can be quite effective either in the DWPs favour or, to be fair, in the clients. But they’re a small minority in my experience. Some will try to get into it on more technical appeals (say about a capital issue or a failure to attend a medical) but usually they don’t add much beyond “well the DWP view is x” or “well the appellant was clearly told by letter that abc applied”.

I assume someone in the DWP has had a bright idea that if they send POs it will help them to prevent so many defeats at appeal. Presumably after the person before thought there was no point in sending POs as they kept losing anyway…