Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

New Style ESA claiming UC housing element.

Mollyanna
forum member

Advice Team, Southway Housing Trust, Didsbury, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 4

Hi,
Before I contact UC on behalf of a client. Has anyone had issues with DWP staff understanding New Style ESA or should I say not understanding the concept on New Style ESA or Legacy Benefits?
I have had 3 clients over this past week who have been given the wrong advice or should I say just shunted down the UC route.

Client 1. In the support group of NSESA.  Change of circumstances Non Dep earnings. So no longer entitled to Housing Benefit.  Non Dep then claims Maternity Allowance.  Client entitled to claim towards rent. Puts in a claim for UC for Housing Element and told that they have to forward Fit Notes and claim UCESA as no longer entitled to NSESA.
Client 2. Became sick. Employer paid 2 weeks SSP and then ended their employment.  Client claimed UC. Was told at the interview to claim UCESA. Client still awaiting payment.  They however are entitled to New Style ESA as have 2years full contributions and this can be backdated to end of SSP.  DWP staff did not advise this.
Client 3. Client lived with Mum , but was claiming ESA Support Group and PIP. Mum died and client was advised by DWP to claim UC to claim Housing Element. We managed to halt claim to UC as client was able to claim SDP and Housing Benefit.

I know DWP staff are not meant to advise that’s our role, but what I see is the complete lack of knowledge when it comes to legacy benefits and the tunnel vision to direct to income support.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2901

What the *$£% is UCESA? [sarcastic bafflement aimed at DWP, not you by the way)

[ Edited: 6 Feb 2020 at 02:54 pm by HB Anorak ]
Mollyanna
forum member

Advice Team, Southway Housing Trust, Didsbury, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 4

II mean ESA universal credit.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2901

You mean just plain UC?

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

I’m gonna hazard a guess that by UCESA Mollyanna means the LCW/LCWWRA elements of UC.

If so I have experienced the same issues - much of JCP staff seem to be unaware of the continued existence of contribution-based benefits, and their interactions with UC.