Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

UC decision notices - are they lawful? Does MR process apply?

Tameside MBC Welfare Rights
forum member

Mental Health WR & Debt Advice Service, Tameside MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 43

I’ve recently come across what could be an anomaly with the wording on all standard UC decision notices (ie. the ones issued each AP to confirm the payment made).

S.7(3)(a) of the UC, PIP, JSA and ESA (Decisions and Appeals) Regs 2013 specifies that in order for the decision to be subject to the MR process the decision notice must inform the person of the time limit for making an application for revision.  S.7(3)(b) makes a similar requirement in relation to requesting a written statement of reasons for the decision.

I attach a copy of the standard wording on a UC decision notice and, in my opinion, it only specifies a time limit for the request of a written statement of reasons. No time limit is specified in which the person must make a request for a revision. By contrast, there is clear and unambiguous wording regarding the time limit for requesting an MR in a legacy benefit decision notice.

If I am correct then the MR process will not apply to such UC decisions and they can go to appeal at first instance. A colleague has also pointed out that as the notice won’t be legally compliant then revision requests should be able to be made at any time, on the basis of official error. The claimant will not have been notified of any time limit as is lawfully required.

Current jurisprudence would seem to indicate that the UT are open to such arguments and like to see clear and unambiguous information provided to claimants.

Has anyone noticed this or tried to use this argument before? Am I barking up the wrong tree? (or just barking to think that millions of UC decision notices are not legally compliant!).

Andy

[ Edited: 23 Jan 2020 at 04:56 pm by Tameside MBC Welfare Rights ]

File Attachments

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

I think that your screen-grab is from a journal payment entry rather than a PDF decision notice. The PDF ones are not in the same terms and do refer to 1 month to request revision.

That limits the significance because whilst, in my view, all payment notices are appealable decisions - most of the decisions which people would want to appeal are issued as PDFs (WCA, HRT, sanctions etc).

I do think it is arguable that you are right that the failure to refer to the time limit in the screen-grab means that the claimant could opt to appeal directly without first going through MR for the reasons you give.

I’m far less sure that your colleague is right that this would invalidate the decision or leave it open to revision on official error grounds. Reg 7 operates to set out the conditions under which an MR is required prior to appeal - the SSWP has never been required to issue decision notices that include a notice under reg.7(1). If she chooses not to include a notice, then the consequence is just that the MR requirement doesn’t apply. It is true that reg 51(2) of the D&A Regs requires the SSWP to give notice of a right of appeal in any decision which has one, but I suspect that this would operate more as an excuse for the lodging of a late appeal than as invalidating the actual decision or leaving it open to any time review.

Interesting.

You might also be interested in Martin’s argument at post 4 here : https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/15413/

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1417

I’m not convinced Reg 7(3) is required before Reg 7(2) has effect. It puts a duty on the Secretary of State to inform the claimant of those matters, but would it otherwise invalidate the notice given?

I agree with Elliot about the official error argument, not least because I don’t think a failure to notify the decision makes the decision one which “arose from official error” (Reg 9).