to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

UT - templates/guides etc? (PIP)

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Received the SOR today, and by my best judgement there has been an error of law by the FTT.

It will be my first time appealing to the Upper, so could do with any guides/templates for submissions etc that are out there. Based in Scotland, so from the CPAG website I understand that the UT assistance project isn’t available.

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

Chapter 58 of CPAG’s welfare benefits and tax credits handbook is a good guide to how to appeal to the Upper Tribunal.

As I’m sure you know, the first step is to apply to the Tribunals Service for leave to appeal to the Upper Tibunal and you have to do that within a month of the statement of reasons being sent.

I don’t know of any templates but when I was a rep I used to send a letter to the Tribunals Service with the client’s authorisation saying that I was writing on their behalf to seek permission to appeal against the decision of the First-tier Tribunal and give the date of decison, claimant’s name and NINO, appeal ref and what the decision was.

I would then say ‘see attached grounds for appeal’ and enclose a separate document headed ’ Grounds for appeal against the decision of the First-tier Tribunal dated ....’ adding the appeal ref and claimant’s name and NINO below.

In terms of the format of the grounds for appeal, there is no fixed format - it just has to be clear what error, or errors, of law you have identified - but it’s a good idea to set it out in numbered paragraphs.

Let us know if you’d like to discuss more about the actual case and error of law.

[ Edited: 24 Jan 2020 at 12:49 pm by Ros ]